Is it safe to get African dwarf frogs from petsmart?

Fishyfishyfishman

Hello I will be getting a tank (14 gallon cube) sooner than expected (YAY). I really like ADFs but have been reading about Chytrid fungus. I have no way to quarantine unfortunately but I know you are supposed to for about 10 weeks. Would it be safe to buy the ADFs from petsmart? They are the only place I know that has them. I could order from aquatic arts. That might be why they seem to never have them. I am starting to be worried I might not be able to keep them due to not being able to quarantine. Are there any more modern treatments for Chytrid fungus?

Lucy

Sure, as long as all the frogs in the tank look healthy. I have never gone to the store and bought them the first day I saw them.
I observe, go back a day or so later and observe some more.

Look at their eyes,they should be bright and shiny. The webbing between their toes should be intact. Their activity, are they floating too much? Being pushed by the current? Are they shedding properly or does it look tattered and funky?
Even if one looks 'off' Walk away and wait for the next shipment.

There's a treatment attached here:
Chytrid Fungus in ADF's and ACF's | Amphibian Forum | 25348

This is a very source.
Chytridiomycosis in African Dwarf Frogs | TFH Magazine

Fishyfishyfishman

I saw them the first time a few months ago and Im not sure theyre not the same ones I saw today. They were all Laying on the bottom not moving much. :( That’s not great is It? I couldn’t see if they were healthy because they were closer to the back.

Also what do you think is the best substrate for them?
I am trying to learn more about them as fast as possible as I am trying to get the tank set up using media from a cycled filter plus TSS.

Also what order should I put in fish/Frogs?

I think you should be ADF guru. I’ve seen you reply to almost every thread about them.

Whats the best way to treat Chytrid if i get unlucky?

Lucy

Yeah, sadly, I'd pass that batch by. Several years ago it took a good 6 months maybe a year (if I recall correctly) to wait for a batch I felt comfortable buying.
It was hard to be patient.

I've never treated for chytrid. Others have used lamisil, Do a forum search. You'll find some threads.
Both the links provided have treatments.

Besure the tank is cycled. I would guess in your case, the fish go in first since you have them already. lol

Fishyfishyfishman

There has been a misunderstanding somewhere I don’t even have the tank yet much less the fish. I have a 10 gallon with my betta and endlers. Will be pulling some media from there. Will watch for a while next time I go to petsmart.

Are you familiar with aquatic arts? They say they quarantine all their fish before sale I will email them later and ask if they quarantine their frogs for Chytrid/make sure they are healthy. I got healthy shrimp snails and fish before so I guessing they would be healthy.

Is sand gravel small gravel best for them. I am on a pretty Tight budget so the cheaper the better. I would like something dark though.

Lucy

Oh, I see. I thought you were moving the fish from the 10g to the 14. Wha tare the dimensions of the 14g
That's what I would do, depening on the foot print and height. then give the 10g to a bunch (4ish) frogs. I prefer a species only tank.

I've used pea gravel an aquarium gravel, others have used sand. Pros and cons to both and eveyone have their own preference.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
  • Question
Replies
Views
tfreema
  • Question
Replies
Views
Lucy