Is it Safe to De-Rim a 10 Gallon Tank?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have been considering for a while, taking the rims off my 10 gallon tank. Would it be safe as in would it leak?

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
According to the internet you should be fine to de rim a tank that size. . . but in my experience I don’t think it was worth the effort. if you don’t have all the tools (mainly razors) you’ll need to buy then, it can take a while to get the rim and silicone off, it can take a while to get all the tiny scraps of silicone off to make the edges look nice, and it’s pretty easy to mess up and crack the glass. . .

petco’s dollar per gallon sale is going on right now do their rimless aqueon tanks should be discounted as well. That’s what I have in my living room.

CindyVBPets

Reaction score
Yeah...Just go get a rimless one at Petco - they're on sale this week cheap like...$14.99 or so.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have removed plastic rims from second hand tanks . What I have found is often the glass edge is not to use the technical term “ polished” this will mean an edge that is unsightly even when you use sand paper the remove the sharp edge.

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CindyVBPets said:
Yeah...Just go get a rimless one at Petco - they're on sale this week cheap like...$14.99 or so.
Unfortunately, I don't have a PetCo within about a thousand miles from where I live.

Ambie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As someone with good carpentry skills and patience that tried de-rim a 10g, my only result was a huge gash in the palm of my hand, a hospital trip and a broken tank. It's really not worth the hassle to me.

But, if you give it a go be very very careful and i hope you have success.

New Threads