Is it safe to add my platy's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyyMoleyy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got my 20 gallon all set up today. I have a live plant to help the cycle, gravel from an established tank and a used seeded filter cartidge. If I add prime to the water, will it kill all the good bacteria I have in there? I was reccommended by an aquatics guy to start a fish-in cycle with two small sunburst platy's. The temp of the tank is at a safe level atm. Can I add them? And I need to condition the water with prime before I do...I just don't know if it's going to undo all the used seeded stuff I have in there. I know with tetra safe start you shouldnt use prime for like 24 hours after...is this the same way?

Last edited:

Peces

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have you tested your water ? if all check out fine in the water , yea you should be able to add the platys with no problems and if your using a seeded filter most likely your tank is ready anyway.

CoryCats

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Prime will not kill your beneficial bacteria. If you are using filter media from a cycled tank you do not need to cycle your tank...you should go ahead and add a few fish.
I agree . Just make sure the filter media you are using is used to the bioload you are adding (like if it's from 1 betta it may not have enough BB to instantly cycle your tank so you may need to do water changes).

HolyyMoleyy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you! I added the prime and the play's are getting acclimated to the temp. in their bag btw, the gravel was from a tank full of about 30 snails and the filter was from a tank with two large goldfish and two dojo loaches.

CoryCats

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you! I added the prime and the play's are getting acclimated to the temp. in their bag btw, the gravel was from a tank full of about 30 snails and the filter was from a tank with two large goldfish and two dojo loaches.
Sounds like it should have plenty of BB for you platies then

HolyyMoleyy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i'm so excited! i was worried about the cycle taking weeks which I know it can. i'll post some pictures on this thread soon of the new tank setup!

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Normally, you add Prime when adding water to the tank, since it is amoung other things a dechlorim=nator. Did you use any water conditioner when you filled the tank? If not, and you have municiple water (as opposed to well water) the chlorine may have killed off your bacteria (after all, that is why chlorine is added to the water...to kill bacteria).

If your tank was filled with dechlorinated water, there really is no need to add Prime into the tank (although it will not hurt anything).

When doing weekly partial water changes, pretty much any water conditioner is fine to use, but in times of elevated ammonia and/or elevated nitrites you want to use Prime since it will detox ammonia and nitrite. But there is no harm at all in sing Prime with every water change whether you have elevated ammonia/nitrite or not.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Normally, you add Prime when adding water to the tank, since it is amoung other things a dechlorim=nator. Did you use any water conditioner when you filled the tank? If not, and you have municiple water (as opposed to well water) the chlorine may have killed off your bacteria (after all, that is why chlorine is added to the water...to kill bacteria).

If your tank was filled with dechlorinated water, there really is no need to add Prime into the tank (although it will not hurt anything).

When doing weekly partial water changes, pretty much any water conditioner is fine to use, but in times of elevated ammonia and/or elevated nitrites you want to use Prime since it will detox ammonia and nitrite. But there is no harm at all in sing Prime with every water change whether you have elevated ammonia/nitrite or not.
Exactly what he said. If you added all that seeded material to a tank full of untreated tap water, I've got some bad news for you.

However, given there are goldfish involved in another tank, there's more where that came from, so it's not too big of a deal.

HolyyMoleyy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was soooo upset when I realized that I just killed all my BB. I went out today and got some more seeded gravel from another tank, and a second anacharis plant. Will this be enough to quickly cycle the tank? I also got the API stress zyme ad recommended by a fish guy over the tetra safe start. Should I add that tomorrow after a little over 24 hours of adding prime?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It will help for sure (the seeded the gravel), but daily water changes will help you along once you add the fish

I wouldn't use the Stress Zyme. It's not got the right type of bacteria that will survive and colonize under water.

HolyyMoleyy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What percent water change should I be doing daily?

HolyyMoleyy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmm..I wonder why he suggested it to me then...what do you reccommend I use as far as 'instant cycle' products?

troyvsc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would be testing the water everyday for at least the first week. If the water is testing fine with the seeded media then you shouldn't have to daily water changes. If you see ammonia or nitrite levels going up then you do.

Just started my 40 with seeded and my tank was cycled almost from day one. I tested the water everyday the first week and every other the second week. I do weekly 25% water changes.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmm..I wonder why he suggested it to me then...what do you reccommend I use as far as 'instant cycle' products?
Because he didn't know what he was talking about. Fish stores are full of people who are often wrong, but never in doubt.

I would recommend Tetra SafeStart if you want to use a bacteria additive instead of doing daily partial water changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 10 38.5%

Top Bottom