Is it really necessary to use RO water re-mineralized for Caridina Shrimp?

Roboticsbede

I have tap water coming out as KH-5, GH-8 and PH-7.4, I figure I could just use peat moss or active substrates to slightly lower everything, I also have experience with peat moss, just not caridina shrimp yet, as I feel like I am already so close to their ideal water parameters, so to see if I could spend a little less money?

richiep

If you think you can lower things and keep them stable (thats the important part) then give it a go,

Roboticsbede

richiep said:
If you think you can lower things and keep them stable (thats the important part) then give it a go,
Can I pm u more? I would really need some more advice on shrimp keeping.

richiep

Your welcome to pm or leave this open youll get more options plus ive not done anything with peat

Roboticsbede

richiep said:
Your welcome to pm or leave this open youll get more options plus ive not done anything with peat
No one's answering haha.

Trenzalore

I don't have experience with cardinia (neocard, a bit of experience), but if you are close to their parameters, I would just do it. I've heard of people keeping many species of shrimp "outside" their defined ph ranges, and they do fine. Experiment with 2 or 3 shrimp in the tank and the peat moss + substrate before you buy a whole colony, so you have a trial run.

Top Bottom