Is it possible to use so much Prime that you kill off the healthy bacteria?

1. Jackie Frost Member Member

My tank is still in the process of cycling, but unfortunately I have a black moor gold fish in it. (I didn't know any better then.) To keep her alive I've been doing daily water exchanges and using on the average of 30 drops of Prime daily. It just occured to me that maybe all of that Prime is killing off the good bacteria and making it longer for my tank to cycle. Is that possible?

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Prime neutralizes the bacteria so it's not harmful to your fish, but it keeps the ammonia present in the water for bacteria to feed on. So unless you are dosing 10X the recommended amount and your fish is basically swimming in Prime, then no. Prime is a fantastic aid to cycling.

Have you considered purchasing TSS?

3. Jackie Frost Member Member

What's TSS?

4. Thunder Member Member

TSS = Tetra Safe Start for all your immediate cycling needs!

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Tetra SafeStart. It's the only immediate cycle product that we recommend around here because it does contain the correct bacteria for a properly cycled tank. Usually only available online, but occasionally available in some pet stores.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

It is kind of pricey, but it does work

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

8. Jackie Frost Member Member

Thanks you guys about telling me about Tetra Safe Start. Unfortunately Molly is dying right now. :'(I don't even think she'll make it til Thanksgiving Morning. Assuming she does die I don't think I'll bother with Safe Start and just cycle the tank the old fashioned way. I learned my lesson. NEVER CYCLE A TANK WITH FISH IN IT. Okay, I'm through with my rant now.:'(

9. Thunder Member Member

I always cycle with fish.

10. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry Jackie. Don't beat yourself up- most of us started the same way and did a fishy cycle. I had never even heard of fishless cycling when I started keeping fish, but I sure wish I had!

My advice to you now is keep doing the water changes with Prime and cross your fingers that Molly lives. Again, I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. :(

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

oh Jackie, I'm so sorry! I feel like Ive been through your whole journey with you... *hugs*

12. Jackie Frost Member Member

Thanks guys! Thank you for all of your support.

Now one of her eyeballs is filled with blood! I hate this! If I had the cloves of oil or baking soda I'd end her misery right now. I hate the fact that she is suffering and there is nothing I can do about it! I'd decapitate her but I'm too squeamish. I sincerely hope she dies peacefully over night. I'm tired of seeing her suffering. Every time I go by the tank she is stuck to the side of the filter. I don't know if the kindest thing to do would be turn the filter off, or keep it on. (Because even while she's stuck to it at least it's holding her upright!)

I hate this!!!

13. Shadowbeam Member Member

*hugs* I'm so sorry Jackie :( wish there was something I could say. If you can't euthenase her i guess the best thing for you to do would be to let her die peacefully in the night. It's horrible to watch you fish suffer, just try and hang in there for now though xx

14. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Jackie, if you have a drugstore that is still open, you can head over there and pick up a bottle of clove oil. Drugstores sell it with the toothache products; it's also called eugenol. I'm very sorry that you've gotten to the point where this is a consideration, but I can tell you from experience that it's very quick and peaceful. If you're able to do it this way, your fish will simply fall asleep and not wake up. I hate that you're having to make this decision, but sometimes it is the right thing to do. Only you will know if it is the right choice for your situation. Hang in there. :)

15. Jackie Frost Member Member

She died this morning. I'm not unhappy about it because at least she isn't suffering anymore. Also now I can cycle the tank speedily and properly. I also know to have clove oil in the house from this point on in case a sitaution like this occurs again.

Thanks for your support. My other friends think I'm silly for carrying on on about a goldfish. They just don't understand.

Oh ...Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

16. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jackie. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well :) Sorry that you lost her. As you said she isn't suffering any more. We've all made mistakes and I'm sure we'll probably all make more so don't feel too badly.
    Keep us posted and have a great day today!
    Ken

17. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

*hug* I'm sorry, Jackie.

18. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry Jackie. So many of us know what it's like to really care about a fish and lose them. :;hug2

19. click Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your loss. Someone who never had a tank doesn't realize how attached you can get to the little creatures. Don't mind your friends,is not their fault they can't understand.