Is it possible to keep water turtles with fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Itamarironi, Apr 11, 2010.

1. ItamarironiValued MemberMember

I want to establish a freshwater tank and suddenly remembered I saw once a tank with a turtle and fish in it. What are the rquirments of such a set up?

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Turtles usually eat fish if their put together.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    I

ItamarironiValued MemberMember

4. Butterfly

A hermit crab has to be able to bury itself. I din't think you want to put fish with it either. They also need specialized equipment.
    Carol

5. OP
    OP
    I

Thanks for your help. I am moving soon and planing on setting up a good aquarium. While tring to accomplished the nitrogen cycle, is it recomended to add hardy small fish (like zibra dineo and tetras) or is it better to just wait that the tank will cycle?

6. Butterfly

It's really better to do a fishless cycle than to add fish and put them through the cycle. Do you know about the Nitrogen cycle?
    carol

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  7. OP
    OP
    I

I do. I have a lot of knowlege from reading article in here. But they are some holes and unanswered questions that I wanted to know the answer to. Do you know if pet stores sell bio floss with bactiria in it? (some articles said it makes cycling faster) bus is it better?

8. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

I doubt it...best just to wait it out. In the meantime, why not choose the inhabitants of the tank? If you want crustaceans, I would suggest freshwater dwarf shrimp or dwarf crayfish.

9. upgrade

upgradeValued MemberMember

By turtles, do you mean read ear slider turtles? they will eat any fish they can catch. They will even take on fish much bigger then them.

Also the fish you can put with them is very limited, RES turtles are known to live in swamp water(in other words water levels will almost always be deadly to most fish)

10. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Some LFS may give you seeded media from their tanks, but a lot of people recommend against this, as you would be introducing any disease they may have into your tank. It takes patience, but fishless cycling is really the best way. If you do get seeded media from a friend or a store, don't forget that it needs an ammonia source to keep the bacteria alive. There have been a lot of threads here recently where people put seeded material in the tank and then just leave it for a week. By then, the bacteria is dead.

11. crystalizedNew MemberMember

get zebra danios!!!..turtles will never catch them LOL and they fun to raise too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice