Is it possible to keep water turtles with fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itamarironi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I want to establish a freshwater tank and suddenly remembered I saw once a tank with a turtle and fish in it. What are the rquirments of such a set up?

OP
I

Itamarironi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for your help. I am moving soon and planing on setting up a good aquarium. While tring to accomplished the nitrogen cycle, is it recomended to add hardy small fish (like zibra dineo and tetras) or is it better to just wait that the tank will cycle?

OP
I

Itamarironi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do. I have a lot of knowlege from reading article in here. But they are some holes and unanswered questions that I wanted to know the answer to. Do you know if pet stores sell bio floss with bactiria in it? (some articles said it makes cycling faster) bus is it better?

upgrade

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
By turtles, do you mean read ear slider turtles? they will eat any fish they can catch. They will even take on fish much bigger then them.

Also the fish you can put with them is very limited, RES turtles are known to live in swamp water(in other words water levels will almost always be deadly to most fish)

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Some LFS may give you seeded media from their tanks, but a lot of people recommend against this, as you would be introducing any disease they may have into your tank. It takes patience, but fishless cycling is really the best way. If you do get seeded media from a friend or a store, don't forget that it needs an ammonia source to keep the bacteria alive. There have been a lot of threads here recently where people put seeded material in the tank and then just leave it for a week. By then, the bacteria is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom