Question Is it possible to keep numerous keyholes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iZaO Jnr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a 180 gallon, no stock, plan to finish the setup soon. Is it possible to stock the tank with 4 or 5 keyholes. I plan to have numerous other schooling fish in the tank

PHP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes it is possible. I would do 4 <This is because, let's say that 4 of the Keyhole cichlids pair up; one will be left and most likely picked on or bullied by the other pairs> instead of 5. Since you will have more than one in there, be prepared if they pair up (Make sure to have a back-up plan).

Also may I recommend that you add schooling fish that are big enough that they won't be eaten by the Keyholes.

iZaO Jnr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks php... i am thinking along the lines of medium sized schoolers, nothing way too small, but generally that shouldnt be an issue with so much space should it?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
what are your goals with keeping cichlids? Are you wanting pairs? Do you want them to breed?

iZaO Jnr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Not necessarily, I've seen their behavior before, particularly keyholes (was completely amazed). If I am able to pair them, and if they do want to breed, I'd very much love to see that, as I know it can be beautiful to see. Again if it will only cause problems then I have no issue leaving it to another time in the future, but as you will know (as so many people do), I want to get the most personality from my fish, making the interaction something to be proud of, as well as seeing something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom