Is It Possible To Have Nice Busshy Plants Without Co2? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Anne79, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Anne79

Anne79New MemberMember

im just not ready to experiment co2... too complicated, im afraid of gazing my fishes, takes places.. risk of algae i think.. anyway... is there any other way to get luxuriant plants using a good substrate, lightining and fertilizers?
    i have a 20 and a 25 gallons, i have/will use mainly low tech plants:
    Anubias, java fern, amazon sword, red sword, ludwigia repens, hygrophyla, marimo moss ball, vallisneria, and any 'green icon' tropica plants (easy beginner plants). I would still love to have lotus plants who might be a little harder to keep..

i have this fixture:
    NICREW LED Aquarium Light, Fish Tank Light with Extendable Brackets, White and Blue LEDs, Size 20 to 27 Inch, 11 Watts

im using flourite dark as substrate

im open to add root tabs fertilizer , or buy a test kit and dose iron / mg .... any macro or micro nutriments needed..

you think i could manage something nice like this girls have?

im really hoping to get a sorority betta like this :)
    pheww sorry for long post

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

your plants won't be as bushy without co2. co2 also keeps the algae in check. fertilizer and high lighting give algae a better hold over your plants resulting in them suffering. Co2 limits the 02 in the water which actually algae uses and therefore inhibits algae growth. Many people think algae is a plant therefore uses c02, but this is a misconception. Co2, fertilizer, lighting, is the planted aquarium triangle and it isn't great to break that up. Co2 isn't as hard as it seems and just ask the forum if you have questions. currently i run a 10 gallon co2 tank into my systems and i only remember once that i had a problem with the system in 5 years and it was my fault for accidently turning on the tank at night thinking i was turning it off.

3. Timmy1027

Timmy1027Valued MemberMember

Hi, we have an overlapping plant list! I happen to keep Anubias, java fern, amazon sword, ludwigia repens, marimo moss ball in my 10g low-tech tank. Beside those, I also have dwarf hair grass, horn wornt, money wornt and jave/peacock moss. They are thriving in my tank w/o CO2. So my answer is YES, you absolutely can have a nice tank just like in the video w/o CO2. In my experience, I used Seachem Flourish and Excel as supplement, but i didn't use them often.

Here is my 10g tank, about 5 month old. IDRC-chIxVJ4FmcXTtQ8blnq8rtH-HFqHhqIp29cfV69xTneiktzoibxgtoAHTNjdGUw5w2Wh6iag&owa=outlook.office.jpg

And here is my 2.6g tank. The only problem in this tank is the Monte Carlo, I think they really need CO2 injector to expand.
    QBiGr8o57CGmR7ExPItxgz7FjjARrn32pdqdAHL1zNksU1WbbkRQEmeGjVPsCBACE73qV2SQeDvrQ&owa=outlook.office.jpg

4. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

In my opinion, the plants above sure are showing alot of stem and decaying leaves at the bottom. Though decaying leafs at the bottom is usually light, the stemmy plants are definetly lack of co2. you can't have bushy "which is the definiton of luxurious plants in my mind" in a aquarium without co2.

5. OP
    OP
    Anne79

Anne79New MemberMember

I hear your advises... Then is a DIY co2 would be alright? Is it reliable? Buying co2 kit, and co2 bottle annoys me.. Lol i live in a small town where i must buy everything online... A simple DIY co2 could be possible, but would it be good enough to acheive that kind of luxurious tank? Ill really need your help and advises here :) and timmy, your tanks are beautiful :D

6. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I started with diy and it never performed for me well like my actual tank now. It will save you alot of hassel if you buy a tank now. I'm not a big fan of the little co2 bottels either. I love my 10 gallon co2 tank. I have a high out put of co2 and i still only need to fill it every 6 months which is $8. Any beer store normally will fill your tank up for. If your going to look into this, your going to need a...
    -tank
    -regulator
    -bubble checker
    -check valve
    -co2 stone
    -tubing
    -co2 checker/drops

7. BlackOspreyValued MemberMember

This is an interesting series of vids where this guy makes an aquarium without extra CO2 or ferts.

The plants might not get as bushy as they would with those extra things but it still becomes quite a jungle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice