Is it possible to have an unheated betta tank?

CROWNTAILBETTA
Please hear me out! I live in Florida and it never gets colder than lower 60's and no higher than mid 80's, I have a cycled ten gallon tank so could it work? I also have a space heater if it gets to cold, so what do you think? Thanks!

Advertisement
Dave125g
In Florida yea it can work. Don't let the tank temperature drop below 74 degrees

Advertisement
CROWNTAILBETTA
ok, I wanted to rescue one walmart the other day but didn't have a heater. Thanks

Dave125g
Yea 1 of those shot glass betas? Wal-Mart sucks lol

shadowfish
I think you'll be fine

CROWNTAILBETTA
it's the truth! poor fish

Advertisement
ashleyb
Fluctuating temperatures stress bettas out. I would just get a cheap heater that will at least maintain his temperature in the tank.

CROWNTAILBETTA
ashleyb
If you don't want to buy the equipment the fish needs to thrive, don't buy the fish?

CROWNTAILBETTA
Ok I guess your right, I just feel bad for the bettas that are put in small bowls. but I want my fish to thrive. thanks everyone!

Advertisement
Dave125g
For a 10 gallon you can pick a heater up for less than 20 bucks

CROWNTAILBETTA
thanks I'll look into that!

ashleyb
Your Betta will thank you for it

Make sure you post pictures and let us meet and greet him when you get him!

zmeflyby
If you don't want to buy the equipment the fish needs to thrive, don't buy the fish?

No way. Buy the fish, I'm sure the betta will do better in a nonheated tank than at walmarts little cup.

Advertisement

ashleyb
No way. Buy the fish, I'm sure the betta will do better in a nonheated tank than at walmarts little cup.

I'm not going to dive into a heated debate here. But I will say that just because Walmart doesn't care for their fishes properly doesn't mean that we should in turn give the fish subpar living conditions and convince ourselves we're doing them a favor. If you can't provide the bare minimum essentials of ANY pet, let someone else adopt them who can.

CROWNTAILBETTA
huh, I'm getting some conflicting info!

ashleyb

You're running into a slippery slope of those who believe in the black and white of pet care, and those who choose to vary in grey areas.

Dave125g
You do need a heater, but the betta will be better off with you then in a cup.

Advertisement

FreshAquariums
I'm not going to dive into a heated debate here. But I will say that just because Walmart doesn't care for their fishes properly doesn't mean that we should in turn give the fish subpar living conditions and convince ourselves we're doing them a favor. If you can't provide the bare minimum essentials of ANY pet, let someone else adopt them who can.

agree good go౦ԁ that's ✔

anyway sorry for that ^ thought it would fit in easily with my opinion, yea I agree with what @ said. bettas are actually really easy fish to take care of, said by word. but when you get one it can easily die as well. now it doesn't need ABSOLUTELY FAB AMAZING conditions but it needs (in my opinion) the same conditions almost as a neon tetra, my betta has a 75 gal tank (obviously not everyone can afford so get what you can) and he's with other fish and is happy an healthy. anyway treat your betta right if you need more advice then go here it'll help.

not the best instructions but its better than saying "YEA DUDE TOTALLY GET IT phh its better than what it HAD" :l

Flowingfins
I live in Florida too, and I find heaters necessary. Bettas must have heaters, otherwise their lifespans are severely shortened. The temperature swings will also negatively affect them, shortening their lifespans as well.

Dave125g
agree good go౦ԁ that's ✔

anyway sorry for that ^ thought it would fit in easily with my opinion, yea I agree with what @ said. bettas are actually really easy fish to take care of, said by word. but when you get one it can easily die as well. now it doesn't need ABSOLUTELY FAB AMAZING conditions but it needs (in my opinion) the same conditions almost as a neon tetra, my betta has a 75 gal tank (obviously not everyone can afford so get what you can) and he's with other fish and is happy an healthy. anyway treat your betta right if you need more advice then go here it'll help.

not the best instructions but its better than saying "YEA DUDE TOTALLY GET IT phh its better than what it HAD" :l
Neon tetras and betas have different temperature requirements

ashleyb
Fluctuating temps = stress.
Stress = compromised immune system = fish illness = possible fish death.

All can be prevented for less than $20. It's a no brainer!

Advertisement

Junne
Yes, you will need a heater to keep the temps steady - Bettas need a higher temp than most tropical fish. It's probably unlikely that most houses inside will be at 80 degrees ambient temps and enough to keep the tank at say 78/79.

So often I hear people saying they "can't buy any more equipment" and it saddens me to think that purchase of ANY animal isn't thought out beforehand. With that said, calculate how much $$$ you will need for the entire year ( food, equipment, stuff that may break and be needed to replace, etc ) and if that's not something you can do now, then wait until you can.
Things will break and there may be situations where you need to medicate, its not fair to the animal if you can't properly take care of its needs, no matter how immediate or cost.

FreshAquariums
zmeflyby

How many people do you know go to walmart to buy bettas vs petsmart/petco?
If the betta fish lives longer than 2 months at walmart then it is a blessing.

Do you know what walmart does if a fish is sick or dying? ? They get rid of it. There is no treatment tanks for these poor things.

CROWNTAILBETTA
actually its 84 inside right now, but I get what you are saying.

Advertisement

ashleyb
How many people do you know go to walmart to buy bettas vs petsmart/petco?
If the betta fish lives longer than 2 months at walmart then it is a blessing.

Do you know what walmart does if a fish is sick or dying? ? They get rid of it. There is no treatment tanks for these poor things.

One of my crowntails is a Walmart rescue..

And it's not a blessing to the fish when they come home to unsuitable living conditions and fall ill anyway because someone didn't think they were worth a $20 solution. Bettas NEED heaters to thrive and be happy and healthy. This is a standard for them as they require higher temps than most tropical fish to thrive. We are talking basic biology here, not preference. If you can't agree to give them a healthy living environment, explain to me how exactly you're doing them any favors and how you're any better than the handlers at Walmart?

actually its 84 inside right now, but I get what you are saying.

That would be fine, if you could maintain 84 degrees in the house 100% of the time with no fluctuations. Fluctuating temps stress bettas out. They need their environment to be maintained. This is true for almost all tropical fish.

CROWNTAILBETTA
what heater would recommend? P.S. it must be between $10- $20 thanks!

Dave125g
A 50 watt should be fine

Junne
That would be fine, if you could maintain 84 degrees in the house 100% of the time with no fluctuations. Fluctuating temps stress bettas out. They need their environment to be maintained. This is true for almost all tropical fish.

Ok, I gotta ask ( and I am not trying to be mean ) - who lives in a house that's 84 degrees? Do you not have AC? Just curious because my AC kicks on when my temps go above 76 degrees and for me, 80 degrees would be my breaking point ( and probably for my furry animals )

Advertisement

CROWNTAILBETTA
yeah we can't use are a/c, and I don't think you are being rude!

FreshAquariums

*temperature goes to 83 degrees" NO "Life is now ruined"

CROWNTAILBETTA
lol!

shadowfish
ok,well I was wrong about you being fine...

go with the betta pros here and ignore me

Advertisement

FreshAquariums
ok,well I was wrong about you being fine...

go with the betta pros here and ignore me

Do u even betta shadowfish lol

CROWNTAILBETTA
no problem at least I was set straight before I got the fish, and I found a great deal on amazon for a fluval heater for $12! so no worries.

FreshAquariums
no problem at least I was set straight before I got the fish, and I found a great deal on amazon for a fluval heater for $12! so no worries.
Yay the betta will live in a nice enviroment

CROWNTAILBETTA
yay! I'm open to names (I will be getting a female btw.)

Advertisement

FreshAquariums
DORA (the explorer) jk that name *suicide*
how about.... THE CAGE?
(really tho: Eden)

zmeflyby
One of my crowntails is a Walmart rescue..

And it's not a blessing to the fish when they come home to unsuitable living conditions and fall ill anyway because someone didn't think they were worth a $20 solution. Bettas NEED heaters to thrive and be happy and healthy. This is a standard for them as they require higher temps than most tropical fish to thrive. We are talking basic biology here, not preference. If you can't agree to give them a healthy living environment, explain to me how exactly you're doing them any favors and how you're any better than the handlers at Walmart?

I never disagreed about not having a heater.

But I do disagree that the betta fish is better off at walmart than at op's home. I have a cousin who used to work at walmart (she used to work at petsmart as well) and have heard all the terror stories.

So here is my question to you, do you think it is better off for the betta to live in a cup, unfiltered, nonheated, maybe fed once every other day (standard policy at my cousins walmart), and weekly water changes (standard policy at my walmart)?

And god knows when this poor betta is going to be bought? Unless you want to fly to florida and buy it yourself.

CROWNTAILBETTA
I like that name.

FreshAquariums
(and it begins) id rather have the betta die really ashleyb (no offence) because if it dies then no one will buy it witch means they'll altogether stop supplying and selling betta fish which means less death, less half cups full with water and duck tape around it... so yea take 1 for the team Betta

ashleyb

But I do disagree that the betta fish is better off at walmart than at op's home. I have a cousin who used to work at walmart (she used to work at petsmart as well) and have heard all the terror stories.

So here is my question to you, do you think it is better off for the betta to live in a cup, unfiltered, nonheated, maybe fed once every other day (standard policy at my cousins walmart), and weekly water changes (standard policy at my walmart)?

And god knows when this poor betta is going to be bought? Unless you want to fly to florida and buy it yourself.

None of this negates the fact that the OP was initially setting up an unsuitable living environment for the fish. As owners we should be programmed to give our fish the best of our ability - not just "slightly better". I am not going to be easily convinced that they should be brought home to even more unsuitable conditions and this is a-okay, because "hey, it's not a cup." No. It's not a cup. But the Betta will still be stressed and prone to health issues in this type of living situation.

If you're thinking of getting a pet, research what they need, how to take care of them, and just do it right. It's really not that hard. There are other fish that aren't as affected by temperature swings that the OP could research if they were that against spending money on their pet. But they specifically asked about a Betta. Bettas need heaters, sorry.

Junne

You can't save every fish that you see that's being treated poorly. Don't mean to sound rude but this happens in almost EVERY fish store that sells betta's.
The only thing you can do ( if you so desire ) is to help spread the word and educate. Society views the betta's as "bowl" or cup fish - its been like that for decades with no change. Not trying to start an argument, just my view.

CROWNTAILBETTA
what fish aren't affected by temp fluctuations? (just curious.)

FreshAquariums
what fish aren't affected by temp fluctuations? (just curious.)
the dead one

CROWNTAILBETTA
not the answer I was expecting LOL!

shadowfish
Do u even betta @ lol

not sure what you mean but if your asking if I have one then,yes,I don't own it but I care for it.

how come fish in nature can stand temp changes if only dead ones can??

ashleyb
(and it begins) id rather have the betta die really ashleyb (no offence) because if it dies then no one will buy it witch means they'll altogether stop supplying and selling betta fish which means less death, less half cups full with water and duck tape around it... so yea take 1 for the team Betta

.. Okay? Or you could rescue one and give it the space and water quality it needs to survive and make a world of difference for that one particular fish. The Betta industry isn't going anywhere. They're one of the most popular household fish in the world. We have an opportunity with the knowledge and education available to us now to really, really make an impact on a betta's life. Use it.

I've stated my opinion several times now, others are more than welcome to disagree with me! But I'm just not down with "well at least the fish will SURVIVE" type thinking. Would you want to just merely survive??

FreshAquariums
.. Okay? Or you could rescue one and give it the space and water quality it needs to survive and make a world of difference for that one particular fish. The Betta industry isn't going anywhere. They're one of the most popular household fish in the world. We have an opportunity with the knowledge and education available to us now to really, really make an impact on a betta's life. Use it.

I've stated my opinion several times now, others are more than welcome to disagree with me! But I'm just not down with "well at least the fish will SURVIVE" type thinking. Would you want to just merely survive??
ok if you stop buying fish from walmart they'll stop supplying them since its a waste of money
example: everyone in the world stops buying corn from anywhere. corn will not be grown as much or at all (prob just not as much)
and if I could take 1 for the team I would

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
Morpheus1967
Replies