is it possible to breed sword tails and guppies?

i <3 fish!

Reaction score
Experience
1 year

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I <3 fish! said:
is it possible to breed sword tails and guppies?
I'm sure in a lab you could, but have never heard of them mating. I have never seen any my swordtails or guppies show any of that kind of intress in each other and a few articals that I read when I first got into breeding indicated that you can't cross breed them.

You can however cross breed swordtails and platies on a pretty consistant rate.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

These posts have been moved out of another thread. Rather than changing the suject of a thread created by another member, it's best to start you own.
Thanks!

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's very unlikely (about as unlikely as pluppies, if anyone remembers that ). The genetic makeup of the two fish is considered to be too different. They both belong to a different genus (xiphophorus and poecillia) and it is very unlikely that they would successfully mate (not that they won't try).

Swordtails and platies are similar enough to easily crossbreed, guppies/endlers are considered close enough to possibly breed with mollies, but I haven't heard of fish from the two different genera cross breeding.

The fish master 123456

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have never heard of that but I have heard of platies and swordtails. that could be a cool cross breed if it happened.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No, guppy and swordtail are too far apart to produce viable offspring. Platy and sword tail are very closely related and guppy (and endler's for that matter) and molly are very closely related, but the two groups are only distantly related.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads