Is It Possible To Breed Cherry Shrimp In My Community Tank?

Zavegyx
Got a few cherry and amano shrimp recently , was wondering if my tank had enough cover for the shrimplets to hide under and not get snacked on by the other fish. Let me know if I should implement any other methods for the shrimp to breed.

Attachments

• CCBDBA69-6CA1-4649-95BC-9E2AD2706FA3.jpeg
    CCBDBA69-6CA1-4649-95BC-9E2AD2706FA3.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 180
penguin02
I tried to keep shrimp in my community tank, but my skirts would snack on them at every opportunity. Even the livebearers took some swipes at them. It really depends on your fish and what they think of the shrimp, as well as how safe the shrimp feel with the cover you provided.

psalm18.2
I'd add some moss to the front of the tank so they have somewhere to hide, maybe even some shrimp tubes for cover. Not too many places to hide in there at the moment.

Rtessy
The addition of a bit more moss would be helpful, could be anywhere. I'd still say you'd be able to get maybe a few shrimplets to survive as is, but not many. Just in case you didn't know, you won't be able to get amano shrimplets, it's actually very difficult to breed those. The larvae require salt water to grow but need to be switched back to fresh at just the right time, but the catch is that the parents can't be kept in salt water. As long as you have enough gH and TDS (most do, I just have ridiculously soft water) the cherries should be fine, and maybe you'll see a few shrimplets in the coming months

leftswerve
Hopefully the stuff you have is growing first.

Rainy day
Shrimplets are tiny and it looks like you have adequete hiding space for them. On a side note, how big is your tank? It looks to be way too small for most of your fish, unfortunately.

Rtessy
I think it's listed as a 20

Rainy day
I think it's listed as a 20

Definitely not a 20, looks like a 5. Cardinals and otos don't get that big.

Rtessy
Sorry my bad, looking at it again I'd have to agree with you
Ohh it's probably 20 liters

Seasoldier
I had a community tank some time ago with tetras of various kinds & guppies & started with a group of 10 RCS, they bred really well & I used to find the shrimplets in my canister filter when I cleaned it, the fish I had didn't seem to bother with them as prey.

Zavegyx
Two of my rcs just died

rebellonik
Got a few cherry and amano shrimp recently , was wondering if my tank had enough cover for the shrimplets to hide under and not get snacked on by the other fish. Let me know if I should implement any other methods for the shrimp to breed.
Try for a plant called Guppy grass or Frogbit that is what I have noticed to help shrimplets they provide shelter to small fries it also grows fast so would help the tank
Also imo the best tank mate for shrimps would be ottos

Beautiful tank bro could you post some more pics please of the tank

Zavegyx
Try for a plant called Guppy grass or Frogbit that is what I have noticed to help shrimplets they provide shelter to small fries it also grows fast so would help the tank
Also imo the best tank mate for shrimps would be ottos
Ahhh I see , how about chillI / galaxy rasboras then? They are really small fishes and i’ve heard some people reccomending them too
Beautiful tank bro could you post some more pics please of the tank
Haha sure , really happy that you like it!

aussieJJDude
More cover is always the way to go, also consider adding some lava rock as the shrimp like to graze on and enjoy hiding in it.

Rtessy
Can I ask how they died? Was it predation? Any chance there was a "band" behind their heads, kinda white/cream/clear? Sorry for your losses

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PokeTileCraft101
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views