15 Gallon Tank Is it possible to add Corydoras?

ToOthleSS04

I have a 15 g tank, 38x38x 40 cm in height, with one male Betta, 10 otocinclus catfish and 4 nerites. Since I'd like to add a bottom dwelling species, i was focusing on Panda cories, which don't grow to large sizes. But I fear i might ruin everything. And if I can add something more, would it be something else? What do you advise me?

Carmen79

Why not rehome the otocinclus, and replace them with the panda cories?

ProudPapa

I agree. It's doubtful that a 15 gallon tank can grow enough biofilm for that many otocinclus anyway.

ToOthleSS04

I agree. It's doubtful that a 15 gallon tank can grow enough biofilm for that many otocinclus anyway.
The otocinclus thrive with no problems at all. I feed them fresh cucumber and algae wafers once every 2 days
The otocinclus thrive with no problems at all. I feed them fresh cucumber and algae wafers once every 2 days
Cause i really like both of them. Otocinclus tend to stay in the middle-low part of the aquarium. While Cories stay to the bottom, it'd be awesome to see more activity inside the tank, apart from the existing fish

Motherlovebetta

I have pandas in my 30g (36” long) and sometimes think that it’s not big enough for them. There are a few other types that are even smaller than the panda, but I have found to be more sensitive. My pandas are not that much smaller than my trilineatus and my albinos.

ToOthleSS04

Cause i really like both of them. Otocinclus tend to stay in the middle-low part of the aquarium. While Cories stay to the bottom, it'd be awesome to see more activity inside the tank, apart from the existing fish

I have pandas in my 30g (36” long) and sometimes think that it’s not big enough for them. There are a few other types that are even smaller than the panda, but I have found to be more sensitive. My pandas are not that much smaller than my trilineatus and my albinos.
Mind that my tank is 40 high and 38x38 wide, wouldn't it be enough?

Blacksheep1

You want long not high tanks for the species you are trying to keep . The footprint is more important than the gallons.

10 ottos is a lot for that tank size, not for the fishes size but for the food competition. I understand you feed them extras , which is great , but vary it up more. You can prep, blanch and freeze veggies , they’ll last months .

I take it you just want more activity ? Can you move the ottos and replace with Pygmy corys ? You won’t have space for both groups though …

how’s the betta’s attitude with other fish ?

DoubleDutch

Pandas (and otos) aren tempcompatible with a betta. If the oto's work I'd stick to them.

Small tanks fast loose their stability to which both fish are quite sensitive. Simply don't overcrowd a relatively stabil tank.

Chiz

Congrats on your otos eating prepared food! I have them in two tanks (from the same source) and yet one set will readily attack algae wafers that I give the corys, whereas the other tank ignores everything but natural algae. What about something like habrosus cory? I have some sharing my planted 20g high with shrimp and otos, and I find them to be considerably smaller than the pandas. I got these as juveniles in May, and they are apparently already full size, as I have spotted fry already. They are super cute, friendly and very much active bottom dwellers. I'd probably move the betta.

Motherlovebetta

Mind that my tank is 40 high and 38x38 wide, wouldn't it be enough?
Sorry, I gave my dimensions in inches and looks like you are talking cm. 38cm is about 50cm shorter than the tank I was talking about. The cories really need/appreciate a larger tank bottom not so much the height.

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom