Question Is it possible for gender to develop later in fish?

owenhlewis

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi guys,
I purchased 3 x Platy's a good 5 months ago now, was pretty sure they were all the same sex (male).

Just today I noticed tiny fry x 3 in the Java Moss that has only been planted a week ago.

Did a quick check on the three and seems one of them is female (refer photo).

I'd never thought to double check their sexes, and have had them for a while so i'm surprised it's taken this long to a. notice i had a female and b. have fry (assumed if female would have had babies a lot sooner than 4 months unless of course they got eaten).

Anyone shed light on this in terms of developing gender later on?

I'm also now concerned about my M:F ratio of 2:1, however thus far they've coexisted peacefully.

Attachments

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Some fish do develop gender later in life but I do not know platys to be one of them. The best explanation would be either fry were eaten or the female was virgin, which is very uncommon

OP
owenhlewis

owenhlewis

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FinalFins said:
Some fish do develop gender later in life but I do not know platys to be one of them. The best explanation would be either fry were eaten or the female was virgin, which is very uncommon
I didn't check the sex from when i got them, they were all very tiny so I'm thinking it could have looked to be a male early days but turned out was actually female.

Just strange haven't seen any fry until now so guessing then maybe the dwarf gourami had been feasting on them as it wouldn't be a virgin for this long knowing platys

qldmick said:
looks like a female to me.
Yes it does, which is why I'm stumped as when i purchased all three when they were very little they were all in the males tank. I only just googled how to differentiate on the sexes so just wondering if the female had tricked the LFS early days as could have looked to be male when juvenile?

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The opposite is true for livebearers - all fry will appear female until males begin developing their gonopodium. Very strange. Any chance you've got a family member who accidentally killed a fish and quietly bought an identical replacement? :hilarious:

In all seriousness, I do believe that you just slipped up on the sexing of that one fish (it happens to the best of us) and that there were fry being born through those five months. Key words: "java moss that has only been planted a week ago." That gave the fry a place to hide, finally, so a few from this batch survived.

OP
owenhlewis

owenhlewis

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SM1199 said:
The opposite is true for livebearers - all fry will appear female until males begin developing their gonopodium. Very strange. Any chance you've got a family member who accidentally killed a fish and quietly bought an identical replacement? :hilarious:

In all seriousness, I do believe that you just slipped up on the sexing of that one fish (it happens to the best of us) and that there were fry being born through those five months. Key words: "java moss that has only been planted a week ago." That gave the fry a place to hide, finally, so a few from this batch survived.
I'm thinking you're right on this! I never checked the sex originally as assumed pet shop had it right so they may have had a female or more mixed in by accident.

There was other places to hide for fry but nothing as decent as Java moss.

Now i have to work out what to do with them if they survive as tank is already full as it is!!!!!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom