is it possible for a pleco and a chinese algea eater to breed

Status
Not open for further replies.

toaker

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, I am new to fishlore and i have only been seriously into the hobby a few years. What got me seriously into the hobby was a pleco my kids had in their 10 gallon aquarium about 3 years ago. a year later they got a chinese algea eater. Since we put the algea eater and the pleco in the 10 gallon tank they were basically inseperable. They grew together over a year, when i got a 40 gallon tank for them they were about 8" long each. So I moved them into the 40 gallon tank but what ever fish or predator fish \i put in theat tank with them would be killed and eated in a few days. Well decided to give them away one day. While I was about to empty out the 40 gallon tank, I noticed a little fish suction cupped to the inner glass under water, so I saved it and put it in my kids new 28 gallon tank. I plan on posting pictures of this fish and my aquarium when I figure out how to do it. But my question is can or is it possible for a pleco and a chinese algea eater breed and have offspring with each other? Hope you can help me out, I am very interested in figuring it out. Thank you

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
Hope you don't mind, I moved your question out of the other thread.
It'll get more attention on it's own.

I've never heard of the two breeding. However, I don't know that much about hybrids.
Hope someone else can help out.

Good luck

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to Fishlore!
I can nearly guarantee that this is impossible. The two are different all the way up to Order. There are a few (very few) inter-generic hybrids, and really, really rare inter-familial, but no inter-order hybrids have ever been reported. To further complicate things, inter-familial hybrids usually come from a lab, rather than from normal cross-breeding. The genetic structure and even how mating occurs is just too different for such hybrids to happen naturally.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What other fish were ever in with them? A 10 gallon, even the 40 gallon was really too small for how territorial the chinese algae eater could be. I wonder if one of them was pregnant when you got it, or if the new baby fish is a baby from whatever else you had in the tank before they died. I doubt very much that the two could cross breed. I think they are just too different. But, you never know. As was said in Jurassic Park - Life will find a way.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No. CAE is not a loach of any kind, much less a hillstream, though it kind of looks like one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom