Is it possible for a male guppy to get a female swordtail pregnant?

Azahara
This is kinda an odd question, but in one of my tanks I have a few different kinds of fish for breeding. Well, out of all these I have one male guppy and one female swordtail. The male guppy seems to have taken a . . . Liking . . . to my swordtail, if you know what I mean. Well, that was about a week ago and I noticed the other day she appears to be pregnant. Is it possible for a male guppy to get a female swordtail pregnant?

Coryd55
Uhh I'm not sure. Someone will probably answer you though. I've never heard of guppies breeding with other fish but it is possible. Or if you bought her recently she could have already been pregnant?

Azahara
Uhh I'm not sure. Someone will probably answer you though. I've never heard of guppies breeding with other fish but it is possible. Or if you bought her recently she could have already been pregnant?

Oh no, I've had her in a tank for well over tow months now with no males old enough to breed. The male guppy is a fairly recent edition, and the male swordtail is still too small to breed. Its just . . . that guppy just decided she was the hottest thing in the tank for a week there. . . .

Butterfly
The guppy and swordtail cannot crossbreed. Like most livebearers the sword takes about 30 days to deliver her fry and if stressed can hold them a little longer. She was already pregnant when you got her.
As for the male guppy....... they are the casanova of the fish world. They will chase anything that is female even if he can't breed with her
Carol

Azahara
The guppy and swordtail cannot crossbreed. Like most livebearers the sword takes about 30 days to deliver her fry and if stressed can hold them a little longer. She was already pregnant when you got her.
As for the male guppy....... they are the casanova of the fish world. They will chase anything that is female even if he can't breed with her
Carol

Alright thanks. X3 Seems Reita Guppy and MiyavI Molly have something in common. X3

Azahara
Carol

Side thought . . . Is it possible for any livebearers to crossbreed at all?

Kevin
I think some can...but not sure which ones

Azahara
I think some can...but not sure which ones

Ok . . . Cause I have everything but platies . . . in my tank, and a bunch of babies that I can't tell if they're guppies, swordtails, or mollies. All are silver, and all have a little red spot on their cheeks.

Kevin
I think that's a guppy...but I haven't dealt w/ livebearer babies b4

Azahara
I think that's a guppy...but I haven't dealt w/ livebearer babies b4

Hmm . . . you're probably right . . . Little Toshiya Guppy seems to always be pregnant so it wouldn't surprise me. But its the swordail female that has the red spots on her cheeks . . . . .

COBettaCouple
isn't that the truth!

Carol

Dino
Guppies and mollies can cross but the offspring are sterile.
Guppies and endler livebearers can cross with fertile offspring.
Swords and platies can cross with fertile offspring.

Kevin
can mollies and platys cross breed?

Dino
No.
They are from different genera and I believe have different chromosome counts.

Azahara
Guppies and mollies can cross but the offspring are sterile.
Guppies and endler livebearers can cross with fertile offspring.
Swords and platies can cross with fertile offspring.

Thank you! X3 And. . . what exactly are endler livebearers?

Chief_waterchanger

Poecilia Wingei, aka. Endler's Livebearers, are these little fish that are extremely fluid genetically. Meaning it is impossible to breed for a specific trait you like in them, as you can with guppies, as efficiently. They may produce some fry with that desire traits, but not nearly to the ratio a guppy, molly, platy, etc would.

swords3711
Side thought . . . Is it possible for any livebearers to crossbreed at all?

Yes, it has been noted that guppies have crossed with mollies and it is quite common between platys and swords

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
PandaLover
Replies
Views
Cassiez
Replies
Views