is it over stocked?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by chren, Apr 9, 2010.

1. chrenNew MemberMember

so i have hhad this tank up and running now with no problems but i am just wondering is this over stocked or is it fine.

first off the tank is a 40gal with an aquaclear300...and a powerhead, 150watt heater,lavarock,crushed coral sub. water is perfect at 0ppm ammonia,0ppm nitrite and nitrate, and 8ph,water is hard at around6.5.

water changes every second week with one tablespoon of aquarium salt. filter changed every month carbon every time.

the fish i have are 2 frontosas,3brichardi,2 malawi blue,1 kennyi,1 albino malwai,1peacock and one brown guy

they never fight and are all very peaceful but im thinking of going up to a 120gal for them any info would help thanks
    :;dk

2. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Hugely overstocked. I actually put a post script in my reply to your other post about this. You are going to need much more than 120gal for all of those fish. Frontosa are predators that get to about 14". They will eat anything small enough to fit in thier mouths. Like your Brichardi & Julidochromis (depending on what species). They do not mix well with Mbuna, your kenyi & probably your "Malawi Blue & Malawi Albino". Those two could be anything. Can you post pics for ID purposes? Same with the "one brown guy". Brichardis are prolific breeders & will eventually take over an entire tank if the population is not kept under control. If you have a Livingstonii like your profile says then they are ambush predators that will lie in wait on the bottom of the tank just waiting for a fish to get close enough to become an easy meal.

Is it possible for you to post pics of each of your fish so that we can ID them & work out what is what?

There are very few rift lake cichlids that are peaceful. they are only peaceful on rift lake cichlid standards. Put them with normal community fish 7 they will dominate & rule with an iron fin so to speak. They are not peaceful in the true sense of the word. They also get more aggressive as they get older.

3. OP
    OP
    c

chrenNew MemberMember

so i still havent mastered the taking of the pictures my fish are very avid swimmers but will try tomorow to capture them.

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Nutter knows cichlids.

5. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  6. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

I would say that it would be best if you do weekly water changes, instead of one every two weeks. Also, be sure to rinse the cartridge in old tank water to avoid killing the beneficial nitrifying bacteria.

7. OP
    OP
    c

chrenNew MemberMember

so i have the update this tank now only has the fronts and the bacardi in it. so all together 5 fish i hope this will work out better sold all my other babies:(

8. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

It's still a bit overstocked, as far as I know, but we'll have to wait for Nutter to chime in this time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice