Is It Okay Not To Fill Water To The Top?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Civanna, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Civanna

Civanna Valued Member Member

I currently have my water 4-5 inches below the brim of my tank (198litres) so that my precious Blackmoor gets enough oxygen. Is this okay?

I've ordered a water pump and will be getting her a friend (she's by herself since my other fish died) so I'm just kinda doing this in the interim.

She's not moving much/eating much and is hanging out INSIDE the plants at the middle of the tank. All water tests were good so I'm wondering if oxygen might be a factor.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

It's fine to lower water level as long as it's still high enough for your filter.

Lowering water won't really increase oxygen. You need more surface agitation. Plants and oxygen stones will also help.

3. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

As long as there's a gap in the lid, and good filtration (ripples on the surface, or a filter that spits out bubbles or a cascading filter), your fish will get plenty of oxygen :) I fill my tanks almost right up to the top, there's only about 0.5" between the water level and the lids.

If you don't have a filter yet, then that's likely the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    Civanna

Oh okay I might fill it back up then! Of course I have a filter but when it's filled to the top I'm not convinced there's enough movement/oxygen?

5. MD_Plants

MD_Plants Well Known Member Member

what you can also do is lower temp of heater a few degrees. This will allow for more oxygen in the tank

6. OP
    OP
    Civanna

I don't have a heater as I've got a goldfish but my water ALWAYS seems to get so warm

7. MD_Plants

Have you thought about getting an aquarium cooler for your tank? I had One on my outside tanks and it worked perfectly

8. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

If your filter has an extra little tube/nozzle above the outlet, you can sit that part above the water level or attach a little tube to it so it reaches out of the water and it will bring in a lot more oxygen, or if you have a spray bar those are great too :)

9. OP
    OP
    Civanna

Hey, thank you for your reply. No need now, both my beautiful fish died xx

10. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

. Sorry to hear this.
    For future reference I drop my water a couple inches so the filter outflow is more like a waterfall to increase surface agitation & this oxygenation. Sounds like it was a nice tank for your fish.

11. MD_Plants

I keep my archerfish tank half full with driftwood going above the water. I put the wood in a way that I love but there is no room for a filter unless it's a sponge one. They do fine. Also, if you use a sling filter it creates a ton of surface agitation

12. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

If you have a HOB with a good enough flowrate you should be fine by filling the tank to the top.
    Leaving 4-5 inches without water is leaving empty a lot of space that could hold water which means more oxygen and room for waste to disolve. 200 lt is more than enough for 2 goldfish.
    I have a 10 gal that currently is way overstocked (temporal home for many fish...) and I fill the water almost to the top, maybe leaving just an inch or less without water so my fish dont kill themselves, I have a HOB with a 300 lt per hour flowrate (technically a good flowrate for a 10 gal) and so far none of my fish have died from lack of oxygen.
    Sorry for your loss, do you know what may have caused it?

13. MD_Plants

In one of my ten gallon tanks I have WAY to many fish in it. Around 200 guppies. I rarely find a dead one because I have a protein skimmer, 600 lph filter, and weekly 75 percent water changes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice