Is It Okay For Bettas To Eat From The Surface Of The Water? Question 

Panda_Mo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry for such a silly question but I've only kept fancy goldfish before, and it's a big no-no to feed them from the surface. Due to them taking in some air which can damage their swim bladder. Since bettas are labyrinth fish and breathe from the surface anyway does this still apply or not?

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have found that it doesn't apply, and they can eat from the surface just fine. HOWEVER, for bettas who have already gotten some type of swim bladder disorder in the past, I would follow this rule. I have a rescue betta who has always had buoyancy issues - sometimes he's up, sometimes he's down, sometime's he's sideways, etc. and I've noticed he has much more of an issue with buoyancy if I feed him from the surface. I think since his body has such a hard time controlling what's going in and out of his swim bladder, that this just makes the issue worse - but for a normal betta who has very good control of their swim bladder, it shouldn't be an issue. Not a silly question!

Panda_Mo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SM1199 said:
I have found that it doesn't apply, and they can eat from the surface just fine. HOWEVER, for bettas who have already gotten some type of swim bladder disorder in the past, I would follow this rule. I have a rescue betta who has always had buoyancy issues - sometimes he's up, sometimes he's down, sometime's he's sideways, etc. and I've noticed he has much more of an issue with buoyancy if I feed him from the surface. I think since his body has such a hard time controlling what's going in and out of his swim bladder, that this just makes the issue worse - but for a normal betta who has very good control of their swim bladder, it shouldn't be an issue. Not a silly question!
Thank you! I was so unsure but I'll keep that in mind if I find a rescue betta

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes it's fine for bettas to eat from the surface, with some exceptions. The mouth of a betta is upturned which is known as the superior mouth position. This allows bettas to efficiently eat from the surface of the water since there's food that falls in. Since bettas can also breathe from the surface, this mouth structure helps with that.

Lajos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Repolie said:
Yes it's fine for bettas to eat from the surface, with some exceptions. The mouth of a betta is upturned which is known as the superior mouth position. This allows bettas to efficiently eat from the surface of the water since there's food that falls in. Since bettas can also breathe from the surface, this mouth structure helps with that.
You are absolutely right.

The shape of the fish mouth determines how it eats most of the time.
Some fish will eat from the top whereas some will eat from the bottom.

Here are more information about the fish mouth types and their uses.

[/URL]

Panda_Mo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Repolie said:
Thank you I didn't know that

Lajos said:
You are absolutely right.

The shape of the fish mouth determines how it eats most of the time.
Some fish will eat from the top whereas some will eat from the bottom.

Here are more information about the fish mouth types and their uses.

[/URL]
Deffently gonna read up on this

Julabean

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Panda_Mo said:
Sorry for such a silly question but I've only kept fancy goldfish before, and it's a big no-no to feed them from the surface. Due to them taking in some air which can damage their swim bladder. Since bettas are labyrinth fish and breathe from the surface anyway does this still apply or not?
I've always heard that Bettas are surface feeders so that's the way I feed mine. He won't eat the pellets or blood worms once they enter the water column or sink to the bottom.

Ouskamp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have two Betta tanks and both of my babies feed at the surface (I've never seen them eat below the surface). I've trained them (or they've trained me) to sit on their Betta Hammock Leaf when it's time to eat. Then I give them what they can eat in a couple minutes and stop so I don't overfeed and don't end up with puffed up leftover worms and pellets at the bottom of the tank. The older one likes 3 pellets and a worm. The younger prefers a pinch of worms. I have a 7 & 10 gallon tank and change out a gallon each week. This keeps their tanks clean and healthy. I also take water samples to PetSmart occasionally and have them test the levels. They'll even give you the container to take home! Enjoy your Betta!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom