Important Is It Ok To Use Home Depot Play Sand For My 30 Gal?

Pukkafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’m moving this week, and I’m gonna replace the gravel with some sand for a better chance at planting.
My fish in the 30 are going temporarily into the 10, and the betta in the 10 is going to one of the quarantine bowls while we move.

My question is, since I don’t have much money, can I get some of the generic play sand from Home Depot and use that? The only other sand in my area is 5lb bags of sand for like 7$ each, and that takes a lot of money to get a good layer

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’m moving this week, and I’m gonna replace the gravel with some sand for a better chance at planting.
My fish in the 30 are going temporarily into the 10, and the betta in the 10 is going to one of the quarantine bowls while we move.

My question is, since I don’t have much money, can I get some of the generic play sand from Home Depot and use that? The only other sand in my area is 5lb bags of sand for like 7$ each, and that takes a lot of money to get a good layer
Yes! Play sand is perfect. A lot of us here use it because it’s so cheap

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Play sand is a pain. You have to do multiple rinsing in order to prevent cloudiness. I prefer PFS over play sand since it is much easier to rinse.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
You can normally find a 50# bag of pool filter sand for about $5.00. I don't think it is ground as fine as play sand so should work better. Just be sure to rinse it really really well before putting it in the tank.

I have pool filter sand in all my tanks.

Pukkafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can normally find a 50# bag of pool filter sand for about $5.00. I don't think it is ground as fine as play sand so should work better. Just be sure to rinse it really really well before putting it in the tank.

I have pool filter sand in all my tanks.
It doesn’t seem like there’s pool filter sand at either the Home Depot or Lowe’s in my area. Is paving sand an option? If not it’ll have to be play sand

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
It doesn’t seem like there’s pool filter sand at either the Home Depot or Lowe’s in my area. Is paving sand an option? If not it’ll have to be play sand
I've not heard of paving sand so can't say on way or another. I know a lot of folks have mentioned the name quickrete but you want to make sure it is just sand and not sand mixed with cement.

I bought my pool filter sand at my local hardware store. No lowes, ace hardware or home depot anywhere near me.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ive used the home depot play sand and it works great. Just make sure to rinse well.

loner556

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check the pool chemical section (usually outdoors in garden) for the pool filter sand. Lowes has quickcrete brand 50 lb bags for around $7.00

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I also use pool filter sand in all my tanks it’s heavier and very easy to rinse. A pool supply place will have plenty of bags of it for $8-10 for a 50# bag...

Pukkafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I also use pool filter sand in all my tanks it’s heavier and very easy to rinse. A pool supply place will have plenty of bags of it for $8-10 for a 50# bag...
We’re gonna get pool sand from the local pool supply store.

Would it be ok to use Home Depot silicone sealant for a tank issue? My tank has a plastic wood pattern lining at the top that the glue is kind of rotting on. We’re gonna seal it on Friday but my local stores don’t carry aquarium sealant. Would just silicone work?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Depot sells a specific brand that a lot of people use that is aquarium safe but I don’t use it so I’m not sure which one it is but a quick search will easily find it unless someone chimes in with the brand. Good choice going wit PFS. Your really going to like it!

Pukkafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Depot sells a specific brand that a lot of people use that is aquarium safe but I don’t use it so I’m not sure which one it is but a quick search will easily find it unless someone chimes in with the brand. Good choice going wit PFS. Your really going to like it!
Thanks, I’ll start to snoop around

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 6 60.0%

Top Bottom