Is it OK to turn off bubble bar daily?

DesertFish

HI all,

I just got the following tank, fish and all and am starting to figure things out. Any help has been, and will be much appreciated!

I have a 29 or 30 gallon bowfront tank, with an angel fish, 7 white skirt tetras, and 3 clown fish (one of them is really small). I have a canister filter, and an aerating bar (is there another phrase/word for that) along the entire length of the tank. Also sand substrate, lots of rocks and a plastic plant for now, if that matters. The tank is 38" long, 17" high and between 7" and 14" deep, depending on where you measure due to the curve...can someone help me with the volume calculation, i'm still not sure how many gallons this is...

Is it ok to shut the bar off for some time during the day or at night. The output tube from the filter doesn't reach the surface, so it's the only aeration I have (if I understand that correctly).

How much time is necessary, if not all day?

Thanks for any info.

Dolfan

Aeration is provided by surface movement (ripples in the water) not by bubbles in the water. So the way your aeration bar (air stone) works is by creating lots of surface movement for the gas to transfer into and out of the water, basically more surface exposure over time. In theory you don't "need" the aeration bar at all. If you have average stock levels in your tank, most filters will create enough surface agitation to provide plenty of gas exchange.

For me personally, I like to run an air driven sponge filter in all of my tanks as supplemental filtration. The air bubbles also provide some extra surface movement for gas exchange so it has 2 helpful purposes.

If I were you I would replace the aeration bar with an air driven sponge filter and then run it all the time. You will have cleaner water, a backup filter if anything ever happened, and some "aeration" just to be sure the gas levels are good in your water.

I get my sponge filters for cheap from ebay, and I believe they come from China, so you should be able to find something similar in Israel. Here is a link to the U.S. ebay so you know what I'm talking about....

DesertFish

thanks for the idea. Definitely something to look into...

jerilovesfrogs

aside from the aeration .....those clown loaches definitely don't belong in there. small or not. what are you planning on doing with them? because if you don't get them out now....they will end up being stunted in the near future.

DesertFish

Yeah, I just learned that when I put up some questions in the beginner forum... I guess I'll have to start networking to find who might be able to take them.

I wish I could get a tank big enough to keep them, they're so cute.

jerilovesfrogs

they are very cute but do get pretty large. can you take them back to the fish shop?

DesertFish

So far the two shops I've spoken to, one the chain shop in my town, and a small independent place in the city, neither saw a problem with the tank I had, so I guess I'll have to keep looking.

I've found someone in my town who seems very serious about this stuff, so I'm going to try to ask him more about it...maybe I'll have to get some 100 gallon tank to keep them...maybe if I break down a wall and build it there, and sell the car....

jerilovesfrogs

Lol, before you sell the car. ....don't get a 100 gallon for them. I have a 150 and wouldn't keep them. I feel they need a 200 plus. Imo. Don't ask the pet shop what to do, just tell them you're bringing them in, period.

DesertFish

But wait, if I bring them in, they'll just sell them to someone else with a tiny tank.

jerilovesfrogs

yes.....and that same situation happens everyday.....all around the world.

DesertFish

then why should I take them back to the pet shop? won't that just make it worse for them, all the changes, poor conditions only to be in a smaller tank until sold, and then possibly a smaller tank than mine in the end? sorry if i'm missing something...

jerilovesfrogs

Yes, all fish at lfs are in tanks that are too small. But you're assuming that everyone who might buy a clown loach, has a small tank. ......but obviously that isn't true.

You don't have the proper size tank for them. ....that's the bottom line. Will you? Idk.

But fish that grow large, can stunt really fast in a tank that's too small. Stunting is when the body stops growing. ....but the internal organs don't. And that causes a much shortened life span.

It's your fish. . You do what you feel is best. Just giving you my opinion

DesertFish

I feel the same way you do, I want them in a right place. But in my neighborhood, and certainly the city, everyone is in small apartments. if the store owner doesn't even think it matters, I don't think those coming will be concerned, if they're even aware of the need for a big tank...

I'll continue to look around for the right setting, and hopefully find it soon. I recently found a ton of local aquarium sites on facebook. i'm sure out of my area there is a lot bigger chance of the type of tank and fish keeper I am looking for.

But thanks for your suggestions! Definitely something to think about!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
Colt Frost
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views