Is it ok to run a bubble bar and CO2 together?

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by DanB80TTS, Jul 27, 2015.

1. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I do not have a CO2 system, but I have been looking up about them, I'd figure if I decided to take the plunge one day I would go with the Fluval 88 as a starting point as it seems like a begginers kit and is pretty inexpensive, I wouldn't want to mess with the DIY stuff.

I notice when watching videos on people's planted setups with CO2 they don't seem to ever be running any kind of aeration on their tanks, I was wondering if that is just preference or if running a bubbler of some kind has an ill effect on the CO2.

My tank has a 24" bubble bar across the back so if I did at sone point decide to upgrade to a higher light and pressurised CO2, would the bubbles need to be turned off?
    Whilst I'm in the CO2 section I might as well ask if the Fluval 88 is a decent set to give CO2 a go for the first time, or is there a cheaper system that is still a good quality system.

2. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

If you have a bubble bar it would increase the exchange of O2 and CO2 between the tank and the atmosphere. If you run CO2 the only time you would use the bubbler is at night to make sure the CO2 levels dont build up.

3. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

You can run bubbles with CO2 but you may have to have pump more CO2 into the tank to offset the bubbles. I would not do this with one of the mini Fluval kits. The little cylinders are expensive and I would not want to waste any of it. Btw, I can fill up a 10 pound CO2 tank for cheaper than those little replacement cartridges. I would not spend my money on one of those. It will cost more in the long run than a regulator and CO2 tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

I have the fluval 88. If you get the fluval 88 get the adapter so you can hook paintball canisters to it. They last a lot longer. However you might want to look into the aquatek mini regulator. It hooks to paintball canisters and It has an electronic solenoid so you can set it on a timer and not have to turn it on and off everyday like you do with the fluval.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008TJCPSY/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_nUHTvbRR1X5W5

I have an air pump that comes on at night but if its on with your co2 your kinda wasting some of it

5. BDpups

For the price of that, you could get one for a regular CO2 bottle. The nice thing about the regular bottles is you get more CO2 cheaper than the ounces that are in cylinders and paintball tanks. And rather than refilling or changing them out every few weeks, you refill it maybe once a year.

I started out with a paintball set up years ago. It works fine, but changing and refilling all the time gets old.

Just my 2 cents...

6. Theman1

Theman1 Valued Member Member

I have a 5lb tank on my setup. It cost me $10.00 to fill up. I haven't had to fill it yet. I've had it for about 6 months now.

7. BDpups

I run a 10 pound on a 29 gallon and a 125. I think it's $25 to fill and lasts about 10 months.

And if you have that much CO2 ,then running a bubbler with it if you like the of them, you won't really notice you need to pump a little bit more CO2 if the bubbles are gassing some of it off. It will still last you a long time.

8. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

I made the shortcut in buying the fluval because I already had a paintball canisters and live close to a place that refills them but I may have to upgrade eventually. Where do you get those big tanks refilled?

9. BDpups

Welding supply shop.

10. Theman1

Theman1 Valued Member Member

I got my tank on amazon for i think $60.00 shipped. I wanted a nice aluminum tank since im going to be looking at it all the time. I get mine filled at my local Cintas. They are a fire extinguisher supplier. I only paid $10.00 for a 5lb tank to get filled.

The only problem with the welding supply stores is that most of them will only swap out the cylinders. So if you do buy a nice one I would call around and see if they would fill yours or only do exchanges. Some will fill them but some will also not. And also when having your own you have to get it hydro tested every couple of years. Im not sure of the exact time frame though. I believe that costs anywhere from $20.00-$50.00.

11. BDpups

I hide mine so I don't have a stainless one. The first one I got I found on Craigslist for $25. The guy was getting rid of his kegarator. The place I go to if they aren't busy will refill the one I take in. Or just exchange it for a full one. So if anyone wants to upgrade to a full size bottle, you should ask if you can refill or exchange. I know some places will want you to drop off if you want your tank refilled. So you may have to go back.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice