Is it ok to just have one light in. Juwel 180

CJRIO125

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI guys.

I was wondering if someone can advise on my plans for the lights for my 180.

I intend to remove one of the 2 bulbs and just leave it out. So there is only one left in the unit.

This is because I want to see if the fish/plants prefer the dimmer light.
Will this be ok?
Thanks

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would say as long as no water can splash up into the connections inside the light then you should be fine. Not familiar with that type of tank. Do you have a pic of it? What are you keeping in there that you think would prefer a dimmer light?

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
I would say as long as no water can splash up into the connections inside the light then you should be fine. Not familiar with that type of tank. Do you have a pic of it? What are you keeping in there that you think would prefer a dimmer light?
I’m also curious to see your setup. Are they CFL bulbs? I’ll second that removing one of them will be fine for your fish, but I’m not sure what kind of plants you have.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Just place some window screens over the place you want lower light. It’s much easier and you can adjust the amount of light. You want lower light add another layer of screen. More light remove it.

OP
CJRIO125

CJRIO125

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the responses guys. I will get a photo tomorrow when I am home.

They are the normal T5 bulbs from what I remember.

My cories basically always hide. They are healthy etc and the tetras and rainbow fish are out about but equally there colours fade as the light stays on.

OP
CJRIO125

CJRIO125

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
saltwater60 said:
Just place some window screens over the place you want lower light. It’s much easier and you can adjust the amount of light. You want lower light add another layer of screen. More light remove it.
HI Saltwater,

This sounds interesting. What do you mean by window screens please?

kered

Reaction score
Its actually called shade cloth I think not window screen, there are all types depending on what you want, 100%, 75% 25% etc the % is the amount of light they cut out

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
CJRIO125 said:
HI Saltwater,

This sounds interesting. What do you mean by window screens please?
Just go to Home Depot or Lowe’s or any other home improvement store and buy the synthetic roll of window screen. Don’t buy the aluminum type of screens. I did it for my reef tank to acclimate corals to higher lighting and it worked great.

New Threads