is it ok to buy used driftwood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunny1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok , this might sound silly, but is it okay to buy used driftwood, could there be fish diseases or bacteria? how about used gravel? or am i better off starting with new stuff? thanks

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've bought used stuff before. If you're concerned about disease, it's really easy to disinfect either with bleach. Just be sure to use unscented, and then either let it sit in the sun for several days or treat with dechlorinator. (Or better, both)

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is tounge in cheek; but is ANY driftwood really new? Seriously though, I'd say its fine.
Those driftwoods that we normally buy in pet stores are considered new because they're medicated and cleaned before they are sold. I don't know about the ones in the states but in all my normal LFS, they're medicated before being sold.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally, I'd just boil it for a while.

There is very little in the way of bacteria/parasites that can survive boiling temperatures.

Most probably wouldn't even survive 122F (e.g. ICH will die at around 86F)

I agree with sds, but I'd be a little paranoid about the bleach absorbing into the wood and then leeching back into the tank.

Putting it out in the sun is also an excellent idea, the UV from the sun can and does kill bacteria.

My 2c

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The thing with chlorine is that it breaks down with time. That's why I suggested both setting in sun (speeds the degradation of chlorine) and dechlorination. Combined, they'd fix everything.

Boiling or baking will also work. Pretty much everything will die at 120F. By the time you reach boiling, the only stuff on earth that can survive those temps lives deep in the ocean, near thermal vents.

OP
S

sunny1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi, thanks everyone for the advice, i sure appreciate it! ppate, funny comment! After reading some of the other threads, i am surprised at how many people use driftwood that is found somewhere. Considering that the pieces at the LFS shocked me at how much they cost. I'm working on setting up my 125 acrylic tank and i love the way driftwood and plants look.I saw a guy on ebay Mikeswetpets that has some reasonable driftwood prices that says he soaks them before shipping and he has 100% feedback so i'll think i'll try to get some from him. A friend has some driftwood and gravel so i'll get that now that i know what to do with it. Although when i'm boiling it, the kids might get excited that i'm actually cooking something. i can hear it now "we're having WOOD for dinner?!" guess it's good fiber. thanks all!

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some of the "driftwoods" sold at lfs's have never seen water or aged, they are just exrememly dense exoctic woods that sink easy....hence the reports of some very strange bacterial blooms (which are ok, just ugly) and most driftwood will have some sort of bloom...it goes away and is harmless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom