Is It Ok To Add Plants In The Middle Of Cycling With High Nitrite?

1. Fruity

Fruity Valued Member Member

Hi again! You guys are amazing, I've been reading threads for hours every night- the collection of knowledge here is something else!

I am cycling a 55 gallon. Seeded with matrix from another tank, dosed to 2 ammonia on 6/19.

Sat at 2, 0, 5 until 6/23, then I got between 1 and 2 ammonia, .25 nitrite. Dosed back to 2 ammonia

6/24 was .5, 2-5, 40. Dosed back to 2 ammonia.

6/25 was .5, 5, 40-80. Dosed back to ammonia.

My bacteria is working, yay! (I know I'm not there quite yet...)

I know you can do a cycle with plants in, but is it ok to add quite a few plants today? I was worried that throwing them into the high nitrite situation would be less than ideal?

I'm looking for super easy plants like anubias and anachris, btw.

Thanks, all!

2. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Is It Ok To Add Plants In The Middle Of Cycling With High Nitrite?

Yes

You can add plants the same day you add water, even. Plants don't rely on a fully cycled tank the same way fish do. It's a very common practice to cycle the tank with the plants in it. Plants work as additional filtration, so you want them in the tank while it establishes.

3. OP
    OP
    Fruity

Thanks! Just nervous about spending money that may be a waste. (This Craigslist deal has really added up, ha!)

4. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Fruit...

You can add plants to a tank anytime. Most prefer lower pH water (acidic). They'll help settle the water chemistry. The floating kinds will use nutrients faster than those that must be planted in the bottom material. This is because the floaters take in nutrients through pores in the leaves. Some good floaters are: Anacharis (Elodea), Bananas, Water sprite, Hornwort, Duckweed and Pennywort. These are just a few.

Old

5. OP
    OP
    Fruity

Thanks for the suggestions! These will be perfect as I'm using pool sand. Do you have a favorite place to buy plants online? Only place near me is Petco, at least they're in a separate tank with no fish.

6. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

The plants actually will help the cycle along a LOT.

I'm really liking 1-2 Grow's plants if you're ordering online, they are a bit more expensive but they have a pest and parasite free guarantee and everything I've gotten has been super green and healthy.

7. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Fruity...

The last time I bought plants online was from a company called alphapro breeders. They don't have a huge variety, but their plants are nice and healthy.

Old

8. OP
    OP
    Fruity

Thanks for the input, I'll check these out tonight!