is it ok for my bolivian ram to eat algae thins

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by CodyJ, Dec 28, 2012.

1. CodyJ

CodyJ Valued Member Member

My Bolivian ram is swimming around eating the algae thins I put out for my rubber lip Pleco ....second question my rubber lip pleco is not eating the algae thins...I'm worried ...and is the rubberlip Pleco nocturnal

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't use the algae thins as a staple for your ram but eating it here and there shouldn't pose a problem.

Yes, all plecos are nocturnal, you can try putting the food in an hour or two after you shut off the lights and the pleco will have a better chance at it. I would also recommend offering fresh veggies to the pleco like, romaine lettuce, zuchinni, cucumeber and spinach.

Just fyi, the rubberlip pleco will probably need bigger accomodations in the near future.

3. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

It should be fine mine do it all the time, but mine are German blues . Also i second what matt said

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes plecos are nocturnal but they learn to come out during the day, especially if that's when you feed. In fact I am looking at my rubberlip right now. The BN is hiding.
    [​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    CodyJ

Ok I should put algae thins in after I shut off lights and its not the br's staple diet he just thinks it tastes good

6. OP
    OP
    CodyJ

@Jaysee does urs have a special place that it guards...because mine is hiding in a rock cave I made and when fish get near they back up slowly...and should I scoop up the algae thins that are sitting at the bottom

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, each of my plecos has their spot. I guess you can take out the uneaten wafers. I have snails so there is never any uneaten food to remove.

I would just drop a wafer in for it before you go to bed. If its still there in the morning, I would not continue to do that.

8. OP
    OP
    CodyJ

Ok my next petsmart purchase is gonna be a snail some albino Cory's and some Mickey mouse Platts how does that sound jaysee

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice