Is it normal for water sprite to brown like this?

1. fishlover25 Member Member

I have some water sprite in my planted 20g tank that is doing great. It has great growth and quickly over taking my tank. But if the leaves aren't new growth, they have some brown around the edge of the leaves. Is this normal? These pictures are from leaves around the top of plant but some also from the bottom. Doesn't seem that light depth doesn't make a difference. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

That looks like diatom or some other form of algae on the leaves. It's on the old leaves as they are slower to grow, giving the diatoms more time to build up. You may be able to use your fingers to gently rub it off. Nerites and Otocinclus are also known to eat diatoms readily. Diatoms are common to any newer tank that isn't a few months old or more. They usually will go away with time and some manual cleaning. An old toothbrush (that is rinsed well, no toothpaste residue) may help to remove it.

3. fishlover25 Member Member

Ah yes I do have Diatoms in my tank. That's probably it. I do have a nerite snail that's done good but with the leaves being so delicate and light weight, it doesn't manage to clean the leaves.

4. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Ramshorns will sometimes eat diatoms. Mine did, but ive also heard of them ignoring them.

5. fishlover25 Member Member

I'm trying to avoid snails that tend to over populate.