Is it normal for the Male to keep chasing the Female

devsi

I recently moved my male/female Apistogramma Cactoides to their new home (120 Litre). Ever since doing so, their colours have really come out (which I assume is a good thing) and the male has started chasing the female quite a bit.

Is this normal behaviour? Is he just trying to "court" her or do I need to split them up?

Bwood22

Coloring up is always a good thing. That means you are doing something right.

If he's really stressing her, give her some hiding spots.
Other than that, there's nothing to really worry about.

Males chasing females is just a part of life....ask me how I know.

devsi

Awesome, thank you Bwood22 :)

He seems to flick his tail fin at her quite a lot, which I assume is just showing off.

Males chasing females is just a part of life....ask me how I know.

Haha I can only imagine!

Eaton

I recently moved my male/female Apistogramma Cactoides to their new home (120 Litre). Ever since doing so, their colours have really come out (which I assume is a good thing) and the male has started chasing the female quite a bit.

Is this normal behaviour? Is he just trying to "court" her or do I need to split them up?
I may be wrong but I think the male might be ready to breed but not the female at the moment. The same think happened to my agassizii before they spawned. Can you show us a picture of your tank?

devsi

I may be wrong but I think the male might be ready to breed but not the female at the moment. The same think happened to my agassizii before they spawned. Can you show us a picture of your tank?

I can't this second but I will try to get one soon :)

devsi

They both happened to come into shot, so here they are :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
devsi
Replies
Views
MrBryan723
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views