Is It Normal For Plecos To Do This?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by John14:6, Apr 22, 2018.

1. John14:6New MemberMember

Hello! Is my pleco normal? DSC_7726.JPG

He seems to do this a lot. Just hanging out on his back.

Also just the other day I got back from that fish place and I got another pleco. So any suggestions on any names for both of my plecos? DSC_7773.JPG

2. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Most bristlenose seem to sleep like that, I have caught mine a couple times but for the most part they hang out where I can't see them completely.

3. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, its alarming but rather normal. Some suggest that due to deep sleep they 'fall' off, but it only really seems to occur in tanks that they comfortable in and in tanks with tight hidey spots.

4. John14:6New MemberMember

thanks for all the answers! I am glad that my fish is semi-normal(very relieving). So...any suggestions for names?

5. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

According to friends and family, my name suggestions are terrible so I'll let someone else give a go.

(Since they 'catfish' maybe call one Tom and the other Jerry?)

6. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

I like to name plecos and scaly cats after armored vehicles. Mine is named Stuart like the m3 Stuart
    What about lee for (like the m3 lee) and sherman(like the m4 sherman)?

7. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

Haha I like Tom and Jerry. All of my inhabitants are named after characters from Lord of the rings and the hobbit movies. My two rcs are Sam and Frodo
    My three mystery snails are radigast, lady galandria, and treebeird
    My guppy fry all are orks,
    And my guppy male is gandolf and my micky mouse platy is anwen haha

8. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Yep, completely normal behaviors.

9. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

That is Elbert, my albino bristle noses favorite position. When I give him his zucchini he eats from the bottom first, laying flat on his back.

Elbert started out his life as Ellie Mae. the bristles prompted a new name. Jethro the sailfin common pleco had to go live out his life in a huge cement pond after he out grew my tank and sadly Jed, my other albino bristlenose didn't make it. got him as a tiny baby and he/she never grew.

Those that were around during the Beverly Hillbilly days will make the connections :D

10. GuppyDazzleWell Known MemberMember

Yes, I remember laying in bed watching Beverly Hillbillies when I was sick and stayed home from school. Great memories!

I never named my fish for real people, like "Aunt Betty," because they will always die eventually. But I did have a pleco I named "Flash Gordon," because he was about eight inches long and cruised around the tank like Flash Gordon's cheesy spaceship (also from that era, go figure). He didn't care whether he was swimming upright or upside down. When I'd open the lid to feed, he'd go upside down at the top and would eat flake food out of my hand.

11. John14:6New MemberMember

I think I have figured out a name for them. The name Tom and Jerry reminded me of the three stooges so I have decided to name my albino bn curly, my rubbernose/lip larry, and my rts moe.