Is It Normal For My Fish To Act Almost Drunk When I First Turn On The Light?

Tina Jen
Basically whenever I come home from work I turn on my aquarium light and the fish are swimming around all clumsy and falling into the gravel or ornaments, like they're sinking. My mollies especially. I just always assumed it was just them waking up, is this normal?

Advertisement
KiwiEnthusiast
They can get a little skittish, but I'd say that they have something like swim bladder issues Check your water parameters and try fasting them for a couple of days then feeding them some cooked peas with the shell off.

Good luck.

Advertisement
leftswerve
It is completely plausible. in an otherwise healthy tank , that you are scaring the daylights out of your fish. Easing them in to the light might help.

midna
I always turn on my moonlights first for 5 to 10 minutes to get my fish adjusted to the light. I think sudden bright lights can blind them, or just startle them. you can also just turn on the room's light first, then turn on the tank lights later.

mattgirl
Like midnasuggested. I turn my room light on first and let them get used to it first. I have 2 florescent tube lights on my tank. I turn them on one at a time a few minutes apart after they have acclimated to the room light.

I leave the room light on all day long because I found it startled my fish when I walked by if it was off. With it off to them I was just appearing out of no where. With it on they can see me coming.

jdhef
I have to turn on the room light for a few minutes, then turn on the blue lights, then after it gets light out enough that the room is no longer dark, I can then turn on the regular white lights.

I've had some of my rainbows jump out of the tank in the morning (it's dark when I leave for work most of the year) just by turning on the blue light, because they became so startled. Other times they just frantically raced around the tank banging into the sides and lid. Not fun.

KiwiEnthusiast
Oops, sorry jumped the gun there a little. I've never had this happen to me, but of course it wouldn't be an illness if it only happens when the lights are turned on...sorry ops:

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Racing1113
Replies
Views
Bruxes and Bubbles
Replies
Views
Allilang
Replies
Views