Is It Normal For My Betta To Lay On The Bottom Of The Tank?

Emandile57
Hello, so I have had some issues with my Betta today. I put him in a new tank, and I had to take him out because after testing the water, the chlorine levels were too high (.5 mg/L).He was in the new tank for about an hour before I removed him. After some thorough research and a trip to the pet store (where I got my water tested), I emptied the new tank, cleaned and dried everything, rinsed the filter and everything going into the tank with purified water, and I filled the tank with purified water that I also added betta water conditioner too. So I already know that my betta is sick right now because of the chlorine levels, and so I introduced him back into the new tank, with everything purified. Now, he seems to be breathing better, but he is just laying at the bottom of the tank as if he doesn't have enough energy to swim around. Is that normal? The woman in the fish department at the pet store was very knowledgeable about bettas because she has her own, and she said that he should make a full recovery.

Thanks.

Nephilibata
After the situation your betta was in, he likely is going to be exhausted for awhile. Now that he's in new, better water, he should recover, but watch him carefully. It sounds like he was very stressed and that can take awhile for a fish to recover from.
Also make sure he can get to the surface so he can breath easily. In a weakened state that can be very hard for a betta.

Questions:
- Is your tank heated?
- The water you used, was it filtered/treated tap water? Or was it in gallons from say, Walmart or such? If so what did the gallon jugs say?
- How many gallons is your tank?
- Is your tank cycled?

Emandile57
After the situation your betta was in, he likely is going to be exhausted for awhile. Now that he's in new, better water, he should recover, but watch him carefully. It sounds like he was very stressed and that can take awhile for a fish to recover from.
Also make sure he can get to the surface so he can breath easily. In a weakened state that can be very hard for a betta.

Questions:
- Is your tank heated?
- The water you used, was it filtered/treated tap water? Or was it in gallons from say, Walmart or such? If so what did the gallon jugs say?
- How many gallons is your tank?
- Is your tank cycled?

His tank is heated, and the water I used was gallons of purified water. The woman at the pet store said that purified was the best, so I figured I would give it a shot. My tank is only 1 gallon (i'm in college, and am not allowed to have anything big) and the tank is cycled. He hasn't moved to the top. I have a leaf that I haven't put in yet. Should I put that in near the top and then move him to the leaf so hes closer to the surface?

AquaticJ
You don’t need to use purified water, all you needed was the water conditioner, it removes chlorine and chloramines. Your tank isn’t cycled, and I know that because chlorine would have wiped out your bacteria. Additionally, I assume you rinsed the filter off with sink water?

imba
You don’t need to use purified water, all you needed was the water conditioner, it removes chlorine and chloramines. Your tank isn’t cycled, and I know that because chlorine would have wiped out your bacteria. Additionally, I assume you rinsed the filter off with sink water?

This would be my guess too. Your betta is probably stressed.

You'll need to get a cycle up and going again. If possible get some bottled bacteria like TSS or Seachem Stability to speed up the process.

Do0kski
Hello, so I have had some issues with my Betta today. I put him in a new tank, and I had to take him out because after testing the water, the chlorine levels were too high (.5 mg/L).He was in the new tank for about an hour before I removed him. After some thorough research and a trip to the pet store (where I got my water tested), I emptied the new tank, cleaned and dried everything, rinsed the filter and everything going into the tank with purified water, and I filled the tank with purified water that I also added betta water conditioner too. So I already know that my betta is sick right now because of the chlorine levels, and so I introduced him back into the new tank, with everything purified. Now, he seems to be breathing better, but he is just laying at the bottom of the tank as if he doesn't have enough energy to swim around. Is that normal? The woman in the fish department at the pet store was very knowledgeable about bettas because she has her own, and she said that he should make a full recovery.

Thanks.

Probably just really stressed. I think it wasn't in the tank long enough to experience any permanent damage. How is the water purified? Be careful when getting purified water from stores because they also can have chlorine in them. Id just use tap water with something like Tetras AquaSafe added.

BettagoSplenda

Thanks.
HI Emandile57, Welcome to Fishlore. Sounds like you are stressed, sending you peaceful and calm energy. Now your question: Your Betta had a rough start but Bettae are really tough fishes so chances are your Betta will be fine. Just give it time. I would recommend you get Seachem Prime and dose your tank with it. This will ensure you remove the chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia up to 1ppm. Instead of purified water I think its better for you to simply use tap water placed into a bucket, then treated with a de-chlorinator over night, such as Seachem Prime. Do you have a water test kit such as API Freshwater Master Kit? What is the size of your aquarium? Do you have a heater and a filter? Don't get overwhelmed, EVERYONE on this forum started out like this. I am glad you caught the high chlorine levels early. May I ask what Betta water conditioner you are using? Might I also ask to see a pix of your Betta? There are usually stress marks along the length of the body, they look like lines in a different shade of your fish's color running from the gills to the tail. Sometimes, even with perfect conditions, Bettae take 24-48 hours to get used to its surroundings. So I would recommend you get a water testing kit. Fill a bucket with tap water and then treat the water to remove chlorine and chloramine. Also I would recommend doing a 50% water change using water of the same temperature of your tank. Don't be shy to ask away someone on this forum will have the answer!!

Some basics on freshwater fishkeeping:

READ FIRST: Freshwater Beginner Important Topics

here is a series of posts of doing cycling with a fish in
Eeek, cycling with fish! Anything I can do to keep them alive?

Here is a welcome for all Bettae owners:
Welcome to the Betta Section!

and some general facts on Bettae:

Important Betta Topics

Nephilibata
1 gallon is a yikes! Betta's need at least 2.5g. Honestly, in my opinion, I'd say at least 5g.

It's good you have a heater though! I would recommend spring water over purified though.
I never had much luck with water conditioner, and found it much easier to just get gallons of spring water from the store. That's just me however.

Do put the leaf in, but don't bother him. That'll just stress him out.

Can you post a picture of your current set up and your betta?

AquaticJ
1 gallon is a yikes! Betta's need at least 2.5g. Honestly, in my opinion, I'd say at least 5g.

It's good you have a heater though! I would recommend spring water over purified though.
I never had much luck with water conditioner, and found it much easier to just get gallons of spring water from the store. That's just me however.

Do put the leaf in, but don't bother him. That'll just stress him out.

Can you post a picture of your current set up and your betta?
What do you mean luck? All it does is get the chlorine out lol

Nephilibata
What do you mean luck? All it does is get the chlorine out lol

Lol! You'd think science would work...

My thing is that back when I was first getting into the hobby I tried treating my tap water, and it led to quite a few problems, including the health decline and eventual death of my first betta fish. Thinking back though, I was totally new with a tiny tank and little knowledge of cycling. *Facepalm*
There were definitely a few problems at play there. Poor little guy...

I think my tap water is particularly bad however. I had a spare tank for awhile that I let stagnate with just the treated tap water in it and it was absolutely disgusting within a week. Tons of suspended particles and it smelled funny. I don't even drink the water where I'm from without filtering it well, I just don't trust it. I keep meaning to test it with my API kit and forgetting.

I did try again about a month ago with filtering and treating the water, and that went very bad. My betta was listless and looked near death. I had to get water from another tank and put him in a cup. He perked up after that. I ended up getting rid of the bad water and getting some spring water gallons.

Either way, in order to simplify water changes, I find it easier to just grab a 0.60 cent gallon of Spring water.

r5n8xaw00
Just my advice, you should stop listening to people at the fish stores.
While some may know something, most don't know much and give bad advice.
At least this has been my experience......

NanaW
Lol! You'd think science would work...

My thing is that back when I was first getting into the hobby I tried treating my tap water, and it led to quite a few problems, including the health decline and eventual death of my first betta fish. Thinking back though, I was totally new with a tiny tank and little knowledge of cycling. *Facepalm*
There were definitely a few problems at play there. Poor little guy...

I think my tap water is particularly bad however. I had a spare tank for awhile that I let stagnate with just the treated tap water in it and it was absolutely disgusting within a week. Tons of suspended particles and it smelled funny. I don't even drink the water where I'm from without filtering it well, I just don't trust it. I keep meaning to test it with my API kit and forgetting.

I did try again about a month ago with filtering and treating the water, and that went very bad. My betta was listless and looked near death. I had to get water from another tank and put him in a cup. He perked up after that. I ended up getting rid of the bad water and getting some spring water gallons.

Either way, in order to simplify water changes, I find it easier to just grab a 0.60 cent gallon of Spring water.
can I ask where you get your spring water for .60 ? I pay 1.00 per gallon and its the cheap stuff from dollar store lol

Nephilibata
can I ask where you get your spring water for .60 ? I pay 1.00 per gallon and its the cheap stuff from dollar store lol

Sure! I usually buy it from Walmart with the green caps. I prefer to get the Target version though (.70) since it seems just a bit better in my opinion.

NanaW
Sure! I usually buy it from Walmart with the green caps. I prefer to get the Target version though (.70) since it seems just a bit better in my opinion.

Awesome I will have to go and look

Nephilibata
Awesome I will have to go and look

Correction, it's actually blue caps! Not green, that's 'purified water' not Spring.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CHIMERA
Replies
Views
FishFandom
Replies
Views
Beaurgard
Replies
Views