Is it normal for hermit crab to eat wood ?

Kanawana

Hi !!! I'm a new owner here and i have my hermit, Herman, in a temp plastic enclosure as i wait for my 10 gallon to arrive along with his other stuff. He eats really well and has been eating watermelon, pellets, broccoli etc. However i recently noticed him eating the bark of a piece of wood i bought at Petco yesterday and was wondering if it's normal and if it's safe. Idk what kind of wood it is so I'm worried its bad.
Here's a pic of the cork I bought. Well the Product I bought

1630032173891.png

NearMeBettas

Welcome! Hope your having fun with your new Hermit.

I mean, it may not hurt him but I would remove it and not risk that. Try adding a bit more variety to keep him entertained. In the wild, hermit crabs only eat the same thing once a day and are amazing scavengers.

Just wanted to say its great you've done research and are getting him a ten gallon, hopefully a saltwater, freshwater, and food dish, a damp eco earth sand mix 3x his height, a humidity and temp gauge, heat mat, and plenty of stuff to climb on and hide in. Also, despite their name, make sure you get him a buddy as hermit crabs are not actually hermits and are very social. They can die of depression if housed alone. For future reference, its best to get your pets supplies before you get the pet.

ButtercuptheOranda

I heard cork wood/bark won’t hurt them mine eats it and is fine but I’m no expert
lol I just realized how old this posting is lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fanatic
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
IHaveCrabs
Replies