Is it normal for baby RCS to die in a new tank?

FixingThePineapple
Two days ago I got 12 shrimp in the mail and today, after watching them for a little while, I noticed that the 4 smallest shrimp have died. I'm hoping it's just because moving was stressful on them and that the rest are safe. One of the biggest shrimp molted today and I hope that's a good sign.

TexasDomer
What are your water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, GH, KH)? How small are they? Could they be males?

How did you acclimate them?

FixingThePineapple
pH - 7.8
Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are 0
Temperature is always between 78-80°f
KH - 120
I'm not sure what GH is

They were all under half an inch long. Three of them were completely clear while one was a bit pinkish. I drip acclimated them

TexasDomer
Is your tank heavily planted? You shouldn't have zero nitrates.

How long did drip acclimation take?

MrReal
This can't be a cycled tank, is it?

FixingThePineapple
It is cycled. I might be wrong about nitrates because of the test that I use. I use test strips and the readings are for 0-10, 10-20, and so on. I just tested the water and it's between 0-10. Sorry, I should have clarified that in the beginning.

And it took about 30 minutes for the acclimation.

Jaxsco
Imo, it's critical to be as accurate as possible. Your tank may very well not be cycled and have the test strips fool you. I've seen it happen before. I would buy a liquid test kit. You can buy the API Master Test Kit on amazon for $20. It's actually cheaper in the long run than strips.

TexasDomer
I'd use a liquid test kit - it's more accurate.

What test strips are you using? The Tetra ones don't include ammonia.

30 minutes isn't that long. I'd acclimate shrimp for 1-2 hours.

MrReal
Yeah, if you want right and solid info giving the right info is paramount...especially in a public forum type setting. So with that I would get an API liquid test kit as those test stripes are utter junk and really unreliable, even with the numbers you are stating I wouldn't trust

FixingThePineapple
Right now I'm using the Tetra 6-in-1 for nitrite/nitrate, chlorine, pH, and stuff and then a separate Tetra test for ammonia. I'll defintely switch to a liquid test, thank you guys

Jaxsco
You got it! Let us know if you have anymore questions. You can tag me if you'd likr!

CindiL
Where did you order from out of curiosity because I ordered on-line also. Red cherries from one site and yellow from another. I lost half of the red cherries starting a couple days after I had them. I have lost two of the yellows. I'm baffled. Seems like it was the smaller ones that didn't make it. The ones I have left are quite big (for cherry shrimp) ha ha

FixingThePineapple
I ordered from Imperial Tropicals on Amazon

Bithimala
Numbers aside, I have to wonder if those shrimp were healthy to start with. RCS really shouldn't be clear...

TexasDomer
Numbers aside, I have to wonder if those shrimp were healthy to start with. RCS really shouldn't be clear...
Some of my juvenile and lower quality ones are pretty clear.

Aichmalotizo
I mean, technically it's normal for some to die. Usually it's just one or two, it's why you received 12. 10+2 in case of DOA right?
Also, did you drip acclimate? Inverts are sensitive to quick water parameter changes. I got 12 carbon rilI from aqmagic in october, dripped for 1.5 hrs, and just now had my first few deaths this month

tjander
I want to express my opinion on the test strips... I have used them for years, they maybe in accurate but they are consistent... If you notice an increase in a parameter it's valid and you need to react. For Ph and nitrate and nitrite I find little difference between the API test kit and the strips...
My point is the strips are easy and quick and will show an increase or decrease in parameters. Use both test measurements and understand the results of each.., just my opinion

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kiks
Replies
Views
smee82
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views