Is it normal for ammonia to spike right before tank cycles? Help

1. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone, Today is day 14 for my 30 gal tank cycling with safestart. Yesterday my reading for ammonia was .25 and today it is a little higher. It is not .25 but it is not as dark green as .50. It had a hint of yellow in it yesterday but today is a light lime green. I knopw i was told to hold off on wc and i have not did anything as of yet. So is it normal for the ammonia to spike a little higher than yesterday? I was also wanting to know if it is ok to feed a frozen food such as bloodworms and krill? Will it effect the safestart or the cycle to feed frozen? I gave them some this morning and after i did i thought it might not be a good idea,i dont know. Does frozen cloud water cause i noticed it just went every where when i put just a small amount in.They ate it well so maybe it will be fine, i hope. Please anyone that can help. Thank you so much.

2. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Ammonia is going up!! HELP

My ammonia yesterday was.25 on my tank of 14 days. Today it has some green in it. It is not .50 but it isnt .25 anymore. It is a light lime green. What do i do? Wait? Is this safe for the fish? Also is frozen food okay to feed before your tank cycles? Thanks all!!!

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Give it a few more days unless it starts to rise then do a 25-30% water change.

Yes frozen is fine once a week for a treat, just feed sparingly.

4. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Well to be honest with you, I'm a little worried about that SafeStart. By day 14 I would not expect to see ammonia at all, let alone rising. Although it does seem odd that after 14 days you would only have just over .25ppm ammonia.

Is there anything you may have done that would have killed off the bacteria?

I think if it were me, at this point I would assume the SafeStart failed and start doing some water changes.

To answer you other question, frozen food shouldn't effect you cycle in any way. I've never had clouding issues when adding it to my tank. Are you thawing it in some tank water before pouring it in? I have a little plastic dixie cup that I fill half way with tank water, and drop a cube of food in it. Then I wait about 1/2 hour before dumping it in my tank.

5. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

I dont know why it would have failed though. I honestly didnt do anything but feed the fish sparingly.The color of the results looked to be a little past .25 because it had some green in it when yesterday at .25 it was still some yellow in it. I use the API master test kit. So you really think i should do a wc? The 2 parrots are spawning and making a nest moving rocks and digging. They have been eating good also. They are doing a shimmy shake dance since they have been spawning. I also have another pair in another tank doing the same behavior so i know it is part of the spawning process. I dont know what to do really. I wonder if feeding frozen krill and bloodworms this morning if it would have made the ammonia go up a tad. What do you think?

6. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

It is possible that the SafeStart was handled incorrectly sometime between when it left the factory and when you purchased it.

Oh I just though of something, if you have a low ph (under 7) it can slow the whole process down. At a ph under 7 ammonia starts turning into ammonium which while far less harmful to fish, it is not as good of a bacteria food.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have merged two of your threads both dealing with increased ammonia levels in the same tank. I think it may be a bit less confusing to other members. :)

Thanks!

Ken