Is It Normal For 3 Angelfish To Get Along? Question

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by samantha.h, Apr 17, 2018.

1. samantha.h

samantha.h Valued Member Member

Hi all,

I’m wondering...I’ve had my angelfish for a couple of months now. Started out with 4, everything was fine, then my husband and I went out of town for two days, came back and the smallest angel was MIA. I’m assuming it died somehow and my MTS and other snails ate it.

BUT, that’s not what I’m here to ask about though. I wanted to know if it’s normal for 3 angelfish to get along okay? Because aside from that incident, the other 3 seem to get along swimmingly (pun intended). From what I understood from research and reading the forums is that angelfish typically pair off. These guys all hang out together, and I’m led to believe they might all be the same sex?

TL;DR: is it normal for 3 angels to get along?

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

3 angelfish is a cursed number. But 3 will normally get along if they aren't in breeding mode.

If 2 angels pair off, they will bully the last angel. If none of them pair off, it could potentially work.

3. OP
    OP
    samantha.h

Sounds like I just need to continue to watch them and see what happens. I haven’t seen any signs of pairing off yet.

4. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Just hope you have all males or very lazy females (some females spawn with other females, so the aggression is there but no offspring occur, some females will not spawn with other females, and some females spawn by themselves).

5. OP
    OP
    samantha.h

That’s what I was kind of hoping was the case...the all males thing. Also, that is a very interesting fact! I didn’t know female angels can try to spawn with other females.

6. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

If it can lay eggs and wants to badly enough she will. I picked up four angels yesterday and during the car ride the female i picked out dropped about 20-30 eggs from the travel stress because she was rather gravid (i hopefully picked a male as well, when the net went in they kind freaked out so the breeding tubes went away lol).

7. OP
    OP
    samantha.h

Looking at my 3 angels this morning while feeding, it appears all three have that head hump that is typical for males. I know that that isn’t always accurate, but I’m hoping in my case it is!

8. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

What size are your angels? If you have only had them a couple months, and you got them at a fish store where they are usually pretty young, you don't have adult aggression/sexual maturity issues YET.

Are they adults? Because if not, that could be why they are getting along. And yes, as stated, males do tend to get along when no females are present.

9. OP
    OP
    samantha.h

If we’re talking about just their body and not including fin length, they’re probably around the size of a half dollar, maybe a little bigger. They very well could still be young, but like I said, all 3 do look like they have a head bump.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice