Is It Necessary To Quarantine New Fish For Freshwater?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Aquarium Josh, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Aquarium JoshValued MemberMember

Do I have to quarantine my new fish or is there ways of getting around it?

2. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

It's always best but the logistics are tough for some. It can be a small tank but it still needs properly setup, cycled etc.

3. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

It's always best to quarantine fish since you risk the health and life of your other fish in the aquarium. You don't have to but your taking a risk.

Unless you know your aquarium store is very good in the health of the fish, I know Aquarium Co-op quarantine all their fish before selling. But even then you don't know for sure.

4. Aquarium JoshValued MemberMember

I have no fish in my tank right now just plants started it two weeks ago my water is finally ideal I was trying to get something in there with out waiting another two weeks so basically just a judgement call on whether or not I trust my lfs

5. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

If you have no other fish in your tank then you don't need to quarantine. You would only need to quarantine fish if you are introducing new fish into an established tank. I myself always quarantine in this case, there is no getting around the necessity of it.

6. Aquarium JoshValued MemberMember

Should I just try to get all the fish I want in one day and put them all in together

7. BeemanNew MemberMember

No dont add lots of fish in at once, it is best to slowly add small amounts to the tank to maintain balance. Get a little Rubbermaid or sterilite 5-10 gal clear plastic container. These are really cheap and when I know I'm going to get a fish I add some tank water to it and put a filter with some cycled bio media from my main tank and leave them in there for a week. Some get away without quarantining any fish but the stress from transportation and change often is too much of a risk to endanger an entire tank full of healthy fish.

8. Aquarium JoshValued MemberMember

It's a small 20 gal tall I want 4 different species of fish so I should add 1 species a week

Instead of a filter can I do an air stone and water changes

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  9. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

No, you need to spread it out with in a time. What size tank and what is your stocking plan?

10. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

Yes, introducing all together is the best way to do it. But, introducing all together will also overwhelm the beneficial bacteria that are established in aquarium. Knowing this, I add Seachem's Stability with every water change and change water at least 25-50% every day to every three days depending on what water tests ( ammonia, nitrate, nitrate) tell you. You will need to change water frequently until your beneficial bacteria matches the bioload of new additions. Eventually the bb will match waste of fish. I also always use a mild anti-parasite medication like Paraguard on introduction of fish, just in case, of ich or
    gill flukes.

11. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

What type of fish and what are the numbers?
    Do you want to do 30% water change every day?

12. Aquarium JoshValued MemberMember

If it's only a 5 gal not a big deal

6 false jullii cory cats, 3 ottocinlus, 8 white clouds, 1 powder blue draw gourmi, and 4 ghost shrimp

13. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

This quarantine thing is controversial because all quarantines I have seen are kind of useless. People usually leave fish in some sort of container for a month and then add it to the tank together with all disease. The only thing you can probably avoid with that sort of quarantine is ich or really bad disease, most internal parasites and other illnesses will just scoop trough.
    I have never done a proper quarantine because I dont have that many fish and I am not buying fish all the time. If I ever "quarantine" fish I just do it for a week and it is just so the fish can acclimate to my water parameters, the food that I feed and my feeding regime before going in with the other fish.
    This is how proper quarantine looks like:

And I am confident that very little hobbysts do it.

Your stocking plan has a few issues.
    Ottocinclus should be kept in groups of 6 AT LEAST. You can add 3 more ottocinclus but I think with the corys is more than enough, ottocinclus can also be finnicky eaters and if you are getting them to deal with algae... there are better ways to prevent algae.
    White cloud mountain minnows are coldwater fish while both your cory cats and blue dwarf gourami are warm water fish.

I would do this:
    8 false Jullii cory cats. (Instead of 2 "clean up" species you get a big school of corys which will bring out natural behavior and make them feel safer)
    1 Blue dwarf gourami
    10 Neon tetras (Instead of white cloud mountain minnows you get a fish of a similar size but a fish that is temperature compatible)
    And I would keep the temp at 24 Celsius.

14. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

I am one of those rare hobbyist- when I buy a fish from $90-250.00. You can bet I follow this procedure to the tee. But, regardless of price, I always do a proactive quarantine depending on the needs of the particular fish. I find it bad advice to tell newbies that quarantine is "useless".

15. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Agree with above however neons should be kept at 23C

Also a 5 gallon is too small for a quarantine tank

16. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

What difference does water volume and fish count have to do with proper quarantine? Those terms seem irrelevant?

Gotcha- should have waited.

17. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

I think what he meant was that the way people setup quarantine tanks basically make them useless

A quarantine tank should have a filter, heater(if necessary), and should also be properly cycled.

18. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

Yes, he also said he didn't do proper quarantine with no ill effects- there's the issue...

19. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Here is a good article: 

20. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

I did not say quarantine was useless, I said the quarantines that I have seen are. And I can't discuss against pro active quarantine with discus. But for the average fish it is really not worth it, if the OP is going to invest in setting up a decently sized tank (at least a 10 gal) to quarantine their fish for 3 months (6 months in total to stock his 20 gal if he follows my stocking plan) and then spend money on meds "just to be sure" he may as well save the money to upgrade to a bigger tank in the future.
    Just my 2 cents.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice