Is It Necessary To Cure Driftwood?

1. R

Rack Valued Member Member

I liked the tea color it gives to the water, I just rinsed it off with tap water and dropped it in the tank.
    Is tannin bad for fishes? Like dwarf gourami, bettas, neons, cardinals, shrimps..?

2. OP
    OP
    R

Bump!

3. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Most tetras prefer tannin stained water. There are other species that do as well.

4. Samuel97

Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

Tanins are actually considered beneficial to the water. Boiling is suggested to remove any foreign contaminants or bacteria, but these should in theory be killed by the process its taken to get to your tank anyway. The removal of tanin staining is purely aesthetic.

5. OP
    OP
    R

Wish I knew this before :( my guppy died shortly after I added the drift wood, I removed it but what should I do now?

6. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

I normally boil my for 6-8 hours until water is somewhat clear. Then toss in 5 gallon pail of treated water for 24 hours. Then add to tank. No problems still get some tannins and the fish and shrimp love it. You might get a whitish film on the driftwood after awhile in the tank, this is normal it will go away on its own. Hope this helps.

7. Samuel97

Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

I agree, boild the wood to kill it off and do a 100% water change.

8. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

A boil will sanitize the wood but wont get rid of all the tannins so you should still get that effect without risking introducing bacteria.

9. OP
    OP
    R

Why 100%? If my tank is contaminated with a parasite or bacteria I'd have to take down the whole tank and start over again.

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

A tank will neverrrrr be a sterile environment. Why should wood be treated this way then? Boil and boil and boil will damage the woodcells That's why the natural preservation (tannins) gets out.
    This all makes wood rot earlier than needed.

11. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

I don't really boil mine, I get them from local rivers and creeks already water logged then they get about 1 min. dunk in boiling water to kill any surface critters, then to the tank. I have 5 tanks now and have not had any problems yet.

12. DoubleDutch

I bake it for some minutes for the same reason.
    Rocks I throw in after a scrub. de91ebe90bf481b0a3d5a60c54d93fbd.jpg

13. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

I just pour boiling water over the wood, not boil it. Then soak it to get rid of tannins because I don't want the tannins in my tank. Rocks are same process.

14. O

What cell damage would that be specifically that I would care about in the real world? Wood decomposes in the water. Might be a year, might be 50 years. I do know I recently smoked a boat prop on a stump that was definitely submerged since 1927 when the lake was created. Some tree species are VERY slow to rot. Others rot in our aquarium in a year or so.

15. DoubleDutch

True but the tanins are the natural preservation against rot. So why get rid of those ?

16. O

I'm very good with tannins. I try to rinse some of them out to keep the tank semi-clear but my happiest fish seem to be living in tea water. :) If I have a point to make it's "wood isn''t wood" I can throw soft woods in my tank and it will start to rot in a month. I have some nice hardwood I really want to put in my tanks. Laid in my garden ten years. Boiled it six hours, then soaked it in a bucket all summer. It's almost ready to sink.... I hope. The wood cells are hanging in there pretty good. I'd give up but it looks awesome and and it will last the rest of my life if I can eventually sink it lol.

17. DoubleDutch

Hahaha. Right.