Is it me, or are Dwarf Gouramis hard to keep? Any other alternatives as well?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by keegee1012, Jan 2, 2013.

1. keegee1012Valued MemberMember

Hello! As the title implies, I'm not sure if Dwarf Gouramis are harder than any other fish?

I bought one last week, and died off the next day and I'm not sure how. Another week later I bought a the red variation hoping for some luck, but the same thing died the following day. I'm getting quite worried.

should the tank not be suitable for Dwarf gouramis, are there other small alternatives?

200 gallon cubic tank
    Temp: 79 Degrees F
    pH: 7.0

Aquarium is 60% decorated/planted with lots of hiding spots.

Stocklist:
    3 Angelfish
    2 Discus
    1 Golden Sev
    1 Festivum Cichlid
    1 Uaru Cichlid
    6 German blue/Electric blue/Golden Rams (Mixed)
    1 Bolivian Ram
    10 Black skirt tetras
    10 Silvertip Tetras
    3 Torpedo barbs
    10 Assorted cory cats
    1 featherfin Catfish

Yes. I love SA cichlids with a burning passion.

2. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

i am unfamiliar with a lot of the fish in your stocking list it sounds like it may just be bad quality fish , or perhaps one of your other fish kill them/ ?

3. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Hello :) I have kept DG's in the past and they can be timid little fish I think with your stocking there is a high chance the gourami met an early demise at the fins of one or more of your other fish.

Gourami are prone to gourami disease due to overbreeding in the hobby but normally they don't die from it that quickly.

I wouldn't add anymore just to be on the safe side dwarfs are peaceful little fish well unless you put more than one in a tank and then it can turn ugly they are related to bettas after all :)

4. ghardinValued MemberMember

For what its worth, I've had my DG for about a month and hes doing quite well, but as I am unfamiliar with many of those fish, I cant say much. I keep Ted with community schooling fish, so if your fish are semi aggressive or full blown aggressive, it may be a stocking issue. If you want a gourami that would be a little bigger and tougher, try a pearl gourami.

5. MagooFishlore VIPMember

If you are wanting a gourami for your tank there are larger more aggressive types but I would do some research first as some can be quite nasty remember related to bettas aka Siamese fighting fish which are called that for a reason ;)

They are very pretty fish though :) any pictures of your tank we do like pictures ;)

6. Jennifer26Valued MemberMember

I've had two dwarf gourami in my tank for a few months now - no problems with them at all - but those moonlight gourami or 3 spot ones r nasty little buggers!

7. MagooFishlore VIPMember

I think with dwarfs it can be hit or miss like bettas in a community :) my twos personalities were so very different than each other just like my boys are completely different to each other :) I love this hobby it's always full of surprises

8. keegee1012Valued MemberMember

I'm not really sure. Considering my fish never killed the Tetras... I'm not really sure if any of my fish would kill it... Though I'm also not sure

Perhaps... I can't really tell a healthy looking gourami from a bad quality one. I'm a cichlid type of guy. I just recently fell in love with them.

A Pearl Gourami... I guess I could give them a shot! :)

Hmmm Alright, I'll remember to stray away from those.

9. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I have not been able to keep dwarf gouramis for any length of time. They are fine for several months, then one day they are sulking near the bottom and it goes down hill from there. Whether its DGD, or bad stock, or maybe they are one and the same, they have all gone the same way. I've given up trying to keep them.

10. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I think you'd be better off with a larger gourami species. That's a lot of Cichlids to keep with a Dwarf Gourami. Also, a cube tank makes it harder for the small gourami to get to the surface to breath.

I'd also like to point out that Discus prefer to be in larger groups. If you ever get the chance, I'd add some more :)

11. keegee1012Valued MemberMember

Not sure what gourami species to get for a peaceful cichlid tank like this. And I'm quite traumatized with Those Opaline gouramis which used to chase my discus relentlessly in the older tank.

The discus are a mated pair. :] Although I don't want any eggs that's why I haven't separated them.

12. petlorileaValued MemberMember

I've never had problem with opaline or gold gourami; they hold their own in the barb/ram tank. But I can NOT keep the dwarf varietal. They don't appear timid...equally chasing and being chased just like everyone else, but I never see what happens in their last moments.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice