Is it just me?

Shine

... or are platies entirely neurotic?

I think my sunburst platy finally snapped last night. She's been getting progressively more strange for weeks now. She looks perfectly healthy, no fins pinned or flat... but has spent the last two weeks hiding out under a bridge decoration. And as far as I can tell the male platy is currently obsessed with the twin-bar, not her. So why she's bothering to hide is beyond me. She always comes out nearly instantly to the surface at feeding time, and is a typical platy-pig about it all.

*sigh* Anyway the neurosis expanded last night when I walked by the tank and instantly there was a flurry of racing, frantic fish. She dove around the tank with mad abandon, bashing into decorations, walls... you could literally hear the sound as she drove a trench in the gravel... before finally becoming tangled in the java moss.

I finally had it. I netted her, and moved her to the 20gal... where she is now tucked in at the base of a sword plant. Weird fish. :;alien

Anyway, I just needed to express my exasperation with other fish people, because if I went into a story this long with my friends or family.... If you have any thoughts on platy psychosis, or even just your own stories, I'd be glad to hear them

psalm18.2

She's being harrased by the male more than likely when you're not looking. My male molly is pretty aggressive and the two platies I had were very aggressive. I have the 2F to 1M ratio and they get harrased to the point of me moving the male out soon. It's a hierachy thing.

Shine

Could be, I certainly don't watch them 24:7... we'll see if she comes out of it now that she's in a different tank. Of course her fishy-mind may be gone completely beyond repair for all I know I actually have had a 3:1 ratio a number of times, but I haven't noticed that it helps. Seriously--how many platies do you need in how big of a tank before they don't stress out?

... I reeeally don't believe all the platy info that labels them as "peaceful community fish". My experience has shown them as anything but. Completely different rant; but I haven't seen a single fry from them either, despite the tank being half-full of java moss and other plants

aylad

Among my adult platies, the F/M ratio is 4:1... and by the time my juvies grow up it'll be 8:1. I don't expect it to change anything, though; the male will still bully everyone in sight. Platies are completely insane. That's why I love 'em!

Shine

I love how they look and all the different colour combinations, but they cause me more stress then any of my other fish. There is always one hiding, or looking weak, or agitated....

At present the sunburst is still taking cover near the swords, but she did come charging out to get more then her share of the flakes... She's a big girl--easily 2 inches long and nearly half again bigger then the male was. Not that it appeared to matter to her neurotic little mind

Latest threads

Top Bottom