Is It Illegal To Own Hygrophila Polysperma

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lets say I wanted to have some Hygrophila polysperma in a tank and I never gave it away or sold it to another person, would that be illegal? I know it is illegal to sell/trade/give the plant but is it illegal to simply own it? I am located in CalI if that helps at all.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can always check with your local water treatment plant or DNR/wildlife people about any specific plant restrictions. DNR would be the more promising though...

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
According to the California regulated and banned plant list it’s illegal to buy sell trade or grow hygrophila polysperma. So what do they do, go from aquarium to aquarium checking for it? It took me quite a while to listen because I decided to find out how many illegal plants I had in my pond. Just the parrots feather. Pretty but annoying.

OP
Vishaquatics

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gypsy13 said:
According to the California regulated and banned plant list it’s illegal to buy sell trade or grow hygrophila polysperma. So what do they do, go from aquarium to aquarium checking for it? It took me quite a while to listen because I decided to find out how many illegal plants I had in my pond. Just the parrots feather. Pretty but annoying.
Thank you for the response. I am quite bummed because I really wanted some dwarf Hygrophila for a few of my tanks. What a shame that California has banned it.

Dch48

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know how you feel. Years ago, in my first go 'round with aquariums, my favorite plant was Cabomba. They're banned now.

Algonquin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
In Ontario, Cabomba is widely available - like even at Petsmart. However, Anacharis is classified as an Invasive Species here - so it's really hard to get. Some lfs do sell it, so I think it's ok to buy/sell/keep in an aquarium, but not outdoors - so no pond/garden stores can sell it. It seems to be super common everywhere else as far as being recommended as a 'beginner' or easy plant, so I thought I'd get some. Not so easy here!

Dch48

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since mid 2015, both Cabomba and Anacharis are banned in New York state. Years ago, they were the only things that would grow in my tank.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Koiman said:
Thank you for the response. I am quite bummed because I really wanted some dwarf Hygrophila for a few of my tanks. What a shame that California has banned it.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well Cabomba's a stupid one to have on states' list for banned plants. Hornwort and Anacharis are kind of understandable, but if you were to place the three in the same situation, Hornwort would most easily outgrow the other two...Cabomba would always be in the third place then.

Dch48

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually, it's only the Elodea variety of Anacharis that's banned. Other varieties are not.

New Threads