Is It Good For My Angelfish Eat Frozen Food Till They Almost Pop? (gut-loading Question)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Mr. Anonymous, Apr 15, 2017.

1. M

Mr. Anonymous New Member Member

I have been feeding my 25+ angelfish 6+ different dry foods every morning and afternoon everyday, as well as every evening 3+ different types of frozen fish foods which they love... but they seriously love the dry food almost just as much... anyway, when they eat, mainly the frozen brine shrimp (spirulina version) and frozen blood worms, they fill themselves up so much that their belly's look like 10x the size as a normal filled belly. Like they are gut-loaded to the maxxxxxx... sometimes we have contests and the winner is the angel with the biggest belly, lol.

Pix:
      - the other nights contest winner,
      - previous contest winner before the last, lol.
      - and the contest winner before that...
      - him again! just, wow.
      - non-contest winner camera hoggers.
      - i know he's not gut-loaded, i just love his markings ;)
      - guts un-loaded, lol.

... and yes they all get along amazingly, but I plan on getting a 150gal sooner or later...

one thing beneficial i noticed that when feeding them as much frozen food as they want is that the next couple days their fins get super long, everyone of them, their fins grow about a centimeter each and they look really beautiful...

... so anyway what do you think?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  2. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Angelfish will eat themselves to death. You need to reduce the amount you feed, and by a lot. I would fast them for a few days until their stomachs are normal sized and then feed them much less than you are currently feeding.

3. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Way way way overfeeding and that is not good for your fishes health.

4. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Is it good for you to eat until you pop? That should answer your question.
    And arent angelfish supposed to get agressive when they start mating?

5. OP
    OP
    M

How can it harm them? It seems great to grow fast and be extremely healthy as they are. And they aren't just eating any kind of food. They are eating the best of the best stuff you can buy for them. We do this when they're fry with brine shrimp why not when their any older?

6. OP
    OP
    M

No, this has nothing to do with me eating till I pop... do you eat McDonalds or Burger King until you pop? Now that would seem unhealthy. This is NOT the same thing. They are eating high quality expensive frozen foods meant for them to maximize their health and beauty.

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They're overeating, and it's very dangerous for them to do so. Overeating anything, even very healthy food, is terrible. Fish will eat until they die; most do not stop when they should. You are purposefully harming your angels, and it's quite cruel. Allowing your animals to overeat and become obese is cruelty.

I thought you were trolling until you had pics. That's sick.

8. OP
    OP
    M

Oh okay, thanks for your help and concerns. I didn't know that. So I don't see how I was purposely harming them, especially if I didn't know what I was doing was doing any harm. I thought I was being good to them. I will take appropriate measures from this point on. Also, they are NOT obese at all.
    I appreciate it, now I know. Thanks.

9. BeanFish

Maybe going back to school would help a little bit, have you heard about Paracelso? He has a cool quote which may help you...
    Drink too much water and you will die, same happens with eating too much food. Appart from them actually poping and having stomach problems you can actually damage their livers if you give them too much protein.

I also thought you were trolling until you showed pics.

10. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Feeding too much of any food is bad. It's all about moderation.

11. BeanFish

"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison, the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison." That is what I was talking about when I mentioned Paracelso. I am not making anything up, some fish can handle more protein than others, but all of them will start developing problems if you give them too much protein or if you feed them until it looks like they have a tumor.
    It is good to hear that you are changing your feeding habits, but isnt your tank heavily overstocked too?

12. OP
    OP
    M

Congrats you know how to do a Google Search. I already said thanks and that I would take appropriate measures. What else do you want from me? THANK YOU!!!!!

update: Yes it is overstocked but they all get along great, and I think that's good for them... but I already said... "when they get bigger I'll get a 150gallon" so everything should be fiiiiiiine, unless you can think of why it's a bad thing them growing up with a big family being able to pair off with interesting other angelfish breeds making some awesome looking baby angelfish. Also it is important to note I have never had any ammonia reading over ZERO, ever...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  13. BeanFish

I am not even sure if a 150 would be able to house all those angelfish.
    The fish look cramped there and if they actually start to mate they would get agressive which is not a good thing, this is not about water parameters, its about size and comfort.
    This is getting tiring, do what you think its best for your fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice