is it getting worse before it gets better? Question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Akari_32, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

im trying to get Princess and Betty to (atleast) coexist with each other, even if they dont have anything to do with the other. its seems to be getting worse tho! i tried putting them in a place that belongs to one of them ( in this case it was Betty's place. but, really it was just a run i set up in the yard with a few disasembled old dog cages and some milk crates), and i've tried putting them together in a new place (the run put some where else and they were both put in at the same time, so it belong to neither of them). niether of those worked at ALL so i put them together when they be both hungry and they HAD to sit next to each other to eat, so that (hopefully) they would associated the other with some thing they needed and was good (the food). that worked really good but there was still some fighting, tho i had my trusty squuirt bottle with me to break it up. im startinf to learn the waring signs of a fight tho! -feels accomplished- (im really good with dogs. i like Ceaser Millan lol he ownz ur soul XD ) i can stop them before they start now! anyway, do u guys have any suggestions for me? any advice would be loved! <3

2. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

ceaser millan is great... but dogs is one thing, rabbits is different.

do NOT put one rabbit into another rabbits space unless your positive that they are friendly with each other rabbits defend territory blindly against other rabbits, the best thing to do it to put them together in a place "claimed" by neither, many suggest a place where neither rabbits have ever been(or are rarely in) say the bathroom.

then let them be with each other for 15 minutes, if fighting occurs put rabbits back in cages/areas, and try again in a day or two- if they were doing "fine" for 5 minutes you can try again in a few hours, after both rabbits are calmed enough.

once they are in the 15 minute "time of peace" it can be lengthened slightly each time

continue this until no signs of aggression, or being pushy... if one rabbit submits it's okay for the other to be slightly pushy.
    and licking each other is a good sign. hope that helps

some helpful links if i was confusing(as i often even confuse myself...)

EDIT: i almost forgot hehehe....
    that when rabbits get into a REAL rabbit fight its not only VERY dangerous for them, but for you too, its recommended that you always have(if not wear) THICk gloves... i mean THICK! a rabbit bite at full force is not only painful but powerful, they *can* bite right through fingers, even the bone if bitten "just right" safety when water isn't enough.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

thanks! oh and its not reallyfights, so to say, but more "im going to get on top of you, take a huge chunck of your fur in my mouth and mount you" all while the other rabbit is running aroung bucking like a horse trying to get rid of the thing on it back. (luckly, i keep they're nails cut, so no gets scratched!) no blood ever gets drawn, thankfully

4. steed1172

mk.. mounting is dominance (as you watch cecear millan you should know some about that lol) fur pulling while its not "bad" its not helping.

best of luck! your rabbits sound almost like my "pair" lolol...

5. s

sparkler39 New Member Member

I have a bonded pair of bunnies (a 5 year old holland lop male and a 4 year old dutch female) who are inseparable. The lop was my original rabbit and the dutch was a rescue. I adopted her at a "match" event where I got to bring my rabbit to meet 18 other rabbits in almost a speed-dating type event. My dutch was my first choice before I even arrived although I was warned that sometimes the match just doesn't work. They got along okay and a few of the other rabbits totally bombed with both the lop and the dutch. I was told that ignoring each other and tolerance was actually the most desired reaction when introducing two rabbits. After I decided to adopt the dutch another foster took both of my bunnies home with her for a week to a totally new space to let them bond. One thing she said works wonders was to put them both into a small carrier (not really big enough for them to move around/fight) and put them in slightly uncomfortable places....ie on top of the washing machine while it was on and in the car while driving on a bumpy road. She said that it helps them bond because they're both unsure and uncomfortable and will cling to each other for comfort. By the time I got them back they were in LOVE! Now it's been 3 years and occasionally one of them will get in a bad mood and they chase each other around, mounting each other but that very rarely happens. I've never done it myself but her method appears to have worked.

6. steed1172

i've also heard that, and told by very reputable people and groups, that thats the way to go when other bonding doesn't work.. or as the last stage of bonding, but i haven't ever tried myself....but the washing machine(or dryer) could be a great alternative .

7. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

lol

some times Betty takes reeeealy big chuncks of Princess's fur out (im talking big enough to fit perfectly into the plam of my hand! o.o). and also (i dunno how many of u guys kno this, or if i even put it up in the first post), but they arent fixed, so im not to sure how well bonding them will go ^_^'> unfortunalty, i didnt want to deal with their crap today or yesterday (i kno... i should be keeping up with it, but it gets sooooooo frustrating! D= ) so i didnt do anything with them together. i will try putting them in the crate and putting them on the washer tomorrow, and see how that turns out tho.

8. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

I dunno I'm not a rabbit person but when they're in their own cages can they see each other?
    You could try letting them "fight" it out through the bars or even slowly brining them closer togeather. Eventually you'd have to put them back together but the slow acclimatization may make the re-introduction less stressful.
    But remember I don't work with rabbits but it might be something to consider if you haven't already...

9. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

they've lived in the same cage all their life, but they have they're sides, and they know the other cant get on their side, even tho they can see each other. i think im just gunna force them on eachother by puttin' on the washer (i would have today, but we left at 10:30 this morning and dodnt get home till about 9:30....). with any luck, we'll be home tomorrow, and i can do it. i'll let u kno how that goes lol im foreseeing a bad out come -_-

10. Betta Whisperer

Betta Whisperer Well Known Member Member

I raised rabbits for years. If they are both females you CAN NOT put them together! They have a natural nesting instinct. Does live by themselves and do not like even the male in there hutch. When breeding rabbits the female has to be put in the males hutch because she will kill him if he is put into her hutch. Do it at your own risk.

11. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

well i dont want them to live with each other, i just want them to not want to eat (so to speak) each other, thats all. i wunna beable to put them both in the yard and go about my buisness with haveing to check on them every other second. when they go after eachother, it gets the dogs all excited, and while i dont think he'll hurt them on purpous, my rotti mix thinks he's alot smaller then he really is and like to try to play with them while they 'fight'. if they arent bothering each other, the dogs could care less about them, and i could care less about letting them run around like the psycho little bunnies they are (XD)

12. s

snuggs86 Valued Member Member

i have four bunnies all brought at different times. so i ve done the whole intro things a fair few times. i think i ve been lucky as i just put them in my kitchen when its feeding time and them all seemed ok. i am having a little troble with introducing my newest one. coz hes so small and a completly different breed my oldest is taking a dislike to him. Having said that today i had all four in my kitchen for afew hours today and everything was fine. also with my first 3 i used to take them out in the car as this is classed as a fairly stressful thing for a bunny. this may sound mean but it does help bring the bunnies closer together.

13. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

well they've lived together for their entire lives, but never had contact with the other untill i got them. i think they're about 6 years old and most likely from the same litter. i havent been doing anything with them, but today i did put them into the yard together (Betty run was taken down so we could mow the lawn) and they stayed in their "areas" and didnt bother each other. i think the two of them being in heat at the time i was trying to get then to like eacher wasnt helping either. i did try a small area once (a 2x4 ft dog crate) and they didnt like that a ALL (then i tried Betty's run and that was just a bad). it seems the closer they are together, the more they wunna eat the other, so i dont think thats gunna work with them

14. s

snuggs86 Valued Member Member

lol i know how you feel its just taken me two months to get my oldest to accept the youngest. never put them in the others cage as it causes more problems. always put them in neutral spaces to start off with and gradually reduce the space to the same size of the cage you want them both in. thats what worked for me eventually. now i have all four in the same cage with the occasional scrape over food, but nothing serious. the oldest will even groom the youngest now to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice