Is It Even Worth Buying A Dg?

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
With dwarf gourami disease is it worth buying and getting attached to a dwarf gourami? What are the changes of it dying? Sounds high

Laxin10

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think it all depends on where you buy it from. I didn't have a great experience from it, but then again I wasn't careful with my supplier. If you trust your LFS, by all means go for it. You might have better luck buying online too.

Greg F

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my opinion , no. The last 4 I purchased , 2 different locations and 2 different times , all died of it. My lfs won't even carry them anymore.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Personally, I will not purchase anymore. My 1st was a 3 spot. We started this "Wet Pet" Adventure together. He was the centerpiece of a 55 Planted Community. I got him when he was about 1.5", he thrived and grew to about 3+ inches. He was known as "Big Blue". He was the "King" of the tank. Would always come up and "Greet" me. Even would attempt to touch my finger with his ventral fins through the glass. The disease came out of nowhere and he was gone with 4 days. A few months later I did try a 2nd one, but the same thing happened. Here is a pic of "Big Blue".

Big Blue.jpg

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have never this disease before nor experienced it. I've had multiple Dwarf Gouramis over the years all living 4 years or a bit over. I think it depends on the supplier like Laxin10 stated.

I've personally purchased mine from PetSmart. They've been great everytime.

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Koiman said:
I have never this disease before nor experienced it. I've had multiple Dwarf Gouramis over the years all living 4 years or a bit over. I think it depends on the supplier like Laxin10 stated.

I've personally purchased mine from PetSmart. They've been great everytime.
Well, I have to get all my fish from petsmart. All my LFS are horrible! Maybe I will try but idk. A lot of people seem to have a hard time.
Is it contagious to other fish that are not DG?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ASHLEY R COOK said:
Well, I have to get all my fish from petsmart. All my LFS are horrible! Maybe I will try but idk. A lot of people seem to have a hard time.
Is it contagious to other fish that are not DG?
I think it only affects labyrinth fish.

trash.binh91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe you can buy from a breeder that knows the story of all the fish they produce?

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jmaldo said:
Personally, I will not purchase anymore. My 1st was a 3 spot. We started this "Wet Pet" Adventure together. He was the centerpiece of a 55 Planted Community. I got him when he was about 1.5", he thrived and grew to about 3+ inches. He was known as "Big Blue". He was the "King" of the tank. Would always come up and "Greet" me. Even would attempt to touch my finger with his ventral fins through the glass. The disease came out of nowhere and he was gone with 4 days. A few months later I did try a 2nd one, but the same thing happened. Here is a pic of "Big Blue".

Big Blue.jpg
I have never heard of an opaline gourami getting the indirivirus, are you sure that's what killed it?

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FlipFlopFishFlake38 said:
I have never heard of an opaline gourami getting the indirivirus, are you sure that's what killed it?
Nevermind, I forgot that it affected 3 spot gouramis, as well as other anatabids.

norlando097

Valued Member
Reaction score
I personally like honey gourami, they are still small but they aren’t part of the DG family so they cannot get the virus

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
norlando097 said:
I personally like honey gourami, they are still small but they aren’t part of the DG family so they cannot get the virus
I have a pair of HGs. Just not the same in size or color as the dwarfs.

But I have stayed away form them for this reason.

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FlipFlopFishFlake38 said:
I’m fairly certain that it doesn’t impact anyone outside of the DG family. I have heard of a “possibility” of bettas getting it, but i’m almost certain an opal one wouldn’t get it

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've also read a lot of death rates, where they're purchased perfectly healthy and suddenly dying within a year. Paradise fish are a good substitute. This is relative, but I think they look better too.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The disease was the reason I went "international" to get more info.

It is worse than I thought. Don't try to count the threads (3 - 5 a week !!!!)

Though I still think it is the most beautiful fish there is (wild color) I would NEVER buy any from a LFS. I'd only buy local bred fish.

Think only an importban from Asia could change things. Uptil now it is a huge moneymaker (treatment that is useless and replacement).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom