Is It Even Worth Buying A Dg?

Discussion in 'Dwarf Gourami' started by ASHLEY R COOK, Apr 22, 2018.

1. ASHLEY R COOKWell Known MemberMember

With dwarf gourami disease is it worth buying and getting attached to a dwarf gourami? What are the changes of it dying? Sounds high

2. Laxin10Valued MemberMember

I think it all depends on where you buy it from. I didn't have a great experience from it, but then again I wasn't careful with my supplier. If you trust your LFS, by all means go for it. You might have better luck buying online too.

3. Greg FWell Known MemberMember

In my opinion , no. The last 4 I purchased , 2 different locations and 2 different times , all died of it. My lfs won't even carry them anymore.

4. jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Personally, I will not purchase anymore. My 1st was a 3 spot. We started this "Wet Pet" Adventure together. He was the centerpiece of a 55 Planted Community. I got him when he was about 1.5", he thrived and grew to about 3+ inches. He was known as "Big Blue". He was the "King" of the tank. Would always come up and "Greet" me. Even would attempt to touch my finger with his ventral fins through the glass. The disease came out of nowhere and he was gone with 4 days. A few months later I did try a 2nd one, but the same thing happened. Here is a pic of "Big Blue".

Big Blue.jpg

5. Vishaquatics (Koiman)Well Known MemberMember

I have never this disease before nor experienced it. I've had multiple Dwarf Gouramis over the years all living 4 years or a bit over. I think it depends on the supplier like @Laxin10 stated.

I've personally purchased mine from PetSmart. They've been great everytime.

6. ASHLEY R COOKWell Known MemberMember

Well, I have to get all my fish from petsmart. All my LFS are horrible! Maybe I will try but idk. A lot of people seem to have a hard time.
    Is it contagious to other fish that are not DG?

7. 75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

I think it only affects labyrinth fish.

8. trash.binh91Valued MemberMember

Maybe you can buy from a breeder that knows the story of all the fish they produce?

9. FlipFlopFishFlakeWell Known MemberMember

I have never heard of an opaline gourami getting the indirivirus, are you sure that's what killed it?

10. FlipFlopFishFlakeWell Known MemberMember

Nevermind, I forgot that it affected 3 spot gouramis, as well as other anatabids.

11. norlando097Valued MemberMember

I personally like honey gourami, they are still small but they aren’t part of the DG family so they cannot get the virus

12. Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

I have a pair of HGs. Just not the same in size or color as the dwarfs.

But I have stayed away form them for this reason.

13. Kristian AcevedoValued MemberMember

I’m fairly certain that it doesn’t impact anyone outside of the DG family. I have heard of a “possibility” of bettas getting it, but i’m almost certain an opal one wouldn’t get it

14. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I've also read a lot of death rates, where they're purchased perfectly healthy and suddenly dying within a year. Paradise fish are a good substitute. This is relative, but I think they look better too.

15. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

The disease was the reason I went "international" to get more info.

It is worse than I thought. Don't try to count the threads (3 - 5 a week !!!!)

Though I still think it is the most beautiful fish there is (wild color) I would NEVER buy any from a LFS. I'd only buy local bred fish.

Think only an importban from Asia could change things. Uptil now it is a huge moneymaker (treatment that is useless and replacement).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice