Question Is It Dangerous To Hold A Floating Goldfish To Feed It?

Fishitryhard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yesterday my goldfish Gil was floating like crazy, and I was really scared. I elected to "hold" Gil in my hand just tight enough so that he wouldn't swim away. I wetted my hands and put a little conditioner on them beforehand. I hand-fed him about one pea and then let him go with no problems. Was that dangerous? Please tell me whether or not that was a bad move.

Kalyke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Did he eat the pea? I do not specifically think it was dangerous. I see these Koi people touch their fish often. I also see that doctors who work on fish do things to them that we would be worried about. Cut things off, give shots, stitch them up etc. They also operate on fish with the fish out of water on a wet towel. I saw some people anesthetize their puffer fish, hold him down and cut down his teeth parts with a Dremel tool. I think you did a smart thing and may have saved his life since food is important to living. Emergencies sometimes mean you need to do things you would not ordinarily do.

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Certainly not dangerous to you, no...but to the fish? Hmmm...

You put "conditioner" on your hands before this procedure? What exactly do you mean by that? My spidey-sense is tingling...

And when was the last time that he had eaten that you are aware of? Unless it was a considerable period of time past...say at least a few days...I think that this was premature.

Fishitryhard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I used api stress coat plus, and he had eaten about three days ago and the floating had gotten worse. The reason I had to hold him is that he could actually eat the pea, as he was floating a lot and the other fish would have eaten it before him. This morning he seemed fine and wasn't floating anymore.

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the clarification; I had been picturing a floating goldfish smeared with Noxzema Intensive Care...and with a pea stuck in his mouth...

Congrats, I'm glad it worked out for both you and him! I think the use of Stress Coat on your hands was very well thought-out.

springwater

Reaction score
Yesterday my goldfish Gil was floating like crazy, and I was really scared. I elected to "hold" Gil in my hand just tight enough so that he wouldn't swim away. I wetted my hands and put a little conditioner on them beforehand. I hand-fed him about one pea and then let him go with no problems. Was that dangerous? Please tell me whether or not that was a bad move.
As long as your super gentle I dont see a problem, I wouldnt feed him that way unless absolutely necessary though

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom