Is It Cruel To Intro Fry To Main Tank?

CarrieFisher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So, I have the 4 surprise Molly fry and they are almost 2 weeks old.

I have found no local pet or fish shops that will do the trade-in thing (I have one more email out, I'm waiting to hear back from them).

Anyhow, Clemmy is clearly holding Fry again and I have NO desire or plan to keep this many mollies.
Should I release them back into the main tank and let nature run its course?

I cannot do more than one tank in my house, my hubby will poop a frisbee and nobody wants these little guys!

Any suggestions?
Man, I just will feel so bad letting these lil dudes fend for themselves in there, but I have no idea what to do with these 4, let alone however many more she may still drop!

Sigh... thoughts?

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
When in a situation like this, I consider it survival of the fittest if they make it. I wouldn't take them out and put them somewhere else though, then I'd feel bad about it! I don't have a place that will do a trade in either, but they always accept donations. See if they would just take the fish from you possibly? Maybe try craigslist?

CarrieFisher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I could *never* do anything like dump them somewhere, I'm just at a loss for "whats next".

I'm really hoping this last place gets back to me soon, so i at least know what my own plan is!

CarrieFisher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bump, anyone?
Thoughts, opinions on adding them to to main and just letting any new babies fend for themselves?

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bump, anyone?
Thoughts, opinions on adding them to to main and just letting any new babies fend for themselves?
I've always let unwanted fry fend for themselves. But, every single time, I've either had a gourami or male betta in the tank so they never had a chance.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No one wants two week old baby fish. They have to be raised to 3-4 months, and be sexable, healthy young adults before a store can do anything with them except use them as feeders.
I'd let them fend for themselves. If you introduce them with the lights off, they have a decent chance if the tank has a decent decor.

Heather L

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm having the same problem. I've left the fry in the 55 gallon hoping that they would become a non-issue, but alas, more then I'd like I surviving in my planted tank.
I've decided the best thing I can do, at this point, is to give my male Platys to my LFS, and hope I can sex and give the fry to the store before they are big enough to reproduce.
Good Luck!

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no one will buy fry. They want healthy fish not fry that can still die or show problems.
Have you considered doing your own DIY breeder net? You dont need anything fancy, just something that will grow them up until they can no longer be eatable.
Was the molly already pregnant from the store or do you keep males and females together? Keeping both sexes of any livebearer together is in my opinion asking for trouble.

CarrieFisher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I read that they need to be able to determine sex, but regardless of age, none of my LFS or LPS do the "donation" thing.
The chains cant take them due to corporate policies and the LFS just don't need or want any livebearers.

Argh!!!! Lol

Maybe I'll turn them loose tonight

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you don't know anyone that will take them, then I think that is the only thing to do.. They might surprise you and make it!

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mollys are messy fish. You may get away with adding 4 Mollys to your tank if your filtration and water changes are good enough, but you wont get away with fitting other 30 Mollys once your molly mama gives birth.
If you cant give them good homes then just feed them to your fish before you form a bond with them, it is easier to get rid of a tadpole looking fish than to get rid of a well formed fish you raised.
I would feed the 4 fry to your fish and whatver fry comes out of your female Molly too. Not pretty nor the right thing to do in my opinion, but it is the only option I believe. At least you wont have to do this often because you just have 1 Molly.
EDIT: Now I remind that you wont get away with adding 4 Mollys to your tank unless they are the same sex as yours. So yeah, I would end the "chain" and kill all the fry. Not good, not fun, not moral, but you have to do what you have to do, sometimes its out of our hands.

Nicholas1234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't like to recommend this but if you have no other choice and you have a Petco near you you could check with them they're the only Chain near me That does this but some Petcos take fish for a small adoption fee.

CarrieFisher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I did ask Petco, they said no, they have enough livebearers as it is

CarrieFisher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would feed the 4 fry to your fish and whatver fry comes out of your female Molly too. Not pretty nor the right thing to do in my opinion, but it is the only option I believe. At least you wont have to do this often because you just have 1 Molly.
EDIT: Now I remind that you wont get away with adding 4 Mollys to your tank unless they are the same sex as yours. So yeah, I would end the "chain" and kill all the fry. Not good, not fun, not moral, but you have to do what you have to do, sometimes its out of our hands.
I didn't breed this fish, she came holding Fry that I was unaware of.
I have tried every "moral" outlet I can at this point.

I have zero desire to keep any of the babies.
I picked her bc she was the skinniest one in the whole tank.
My stocking plan (created here) called for 1 Molly, only.

So, out of curiosity... what's the "right thing to do" since none of these shops (including the one who sold me the "not pregnant Molly") will take them?

I've reached out to friends and family as well, but I'm not about to give my other nieces a fish that needs a 20gal min, for them to kill it in in a fish bowl.

THATis my only option right now for ONE of the fish.

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just had a thought...maybe see if anyone on here would be willing to pick them up? If I was going that way I would consider it. There is a buy/sell/free section isn't there?!

CarrieFisher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not familiar with it, but I'll poke around and see!!!
Good gravy, that would be wonderful!!

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn't breed this fish, she came holding Fry that I was unaware of.
I have tried every "moral" outlet I can at this point.

I have zero desire to keep any of the babies.
I picked her bc she was the skinniest one in the whole tank.
My stocking plan (created here) called for 1 Molly, only.

So, out of curiosity... what's the "right thing to do" since none of these shops (including the one who sold me the "not pregnant Molly") will take them?

I've reached out to friends and family as well, but I'm not about to give my other nieces a fish that needs a 20gal min, for them to kill it in in a fish bowl.

THATis my only option right now for ONE of the fish.
I already said it, feed the fry to the fish. It will suck for the fry but it will suck less to you to see a tadpole being eaten than to have 30 grown Mollys without nowhere to go.
I like APierce idea, try giving them out here before killing them.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Maybe a humane society could take them? It's a long shot but I've seen bettas being listed for adoption at my local shelter.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom