20 Gallon Tank Is it better to overstock than to leave my Cory Cat alone?

Porscheboy918

So I have a 20 gallon high tank, and I currently have a honey gourami, 5 Threadin Rainbowfish, and 5 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish. I also have a single Albino Corydora in there as well.

According to Aqadvisor, my stocking level is 101%, so very slightly overstocked. I am running a modified Aqueon Quietflow 50 filter. If I add 3 more Albino Corydoras in there, there stocking will go to 117%

So my question is, is it better to leave my Corydora alone? Or can I put in more Cory cats in there?

Thanks in advance!

A201

No problem adding the noted Cory Cats. Consider increasing the size of the weekly water change to 50%.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Hmmmm...well, what is your typical water change schedule? How often and how mich

Upvote 0

Porscheboy918

Hmmmm...well, what is your typical water change schedule? How often and how mich
I do 50% water change every week.

Upvote 0

PenguinTetra38

All overstocking does is forces you to do more water changes and change a higher percentage of water. Leaving the cory cat in the stressful situation of being alone isn't worth it, you should either rehome the cory cat or get a few more and change the water more frequently or change a higher amount of water.

Upvote 0

Porscheboy918

All overstocking does is forces you to do more water changes and change a higher percentage of water. Leaving the cory cat in the stressful situation of being alone isn't worth it, you should either rehome the cory cat or get a few more and change the water more frequently or change a higher amount of water.
Thank you very much!

Should I trust Aqadvisor’s water change recommendation? Though I already do 50% water change a week.

Upvote 0

Shrimp42

Thank you very much!

Should I trust Aqadvisor’s water change recommendation? Though I already do 50% water change a week.
50% should be sufficient. If nitrates are reaching high levels at water change time then up the percentage or frequency.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

I think just add the cory cats very gradually. First, add two more then 3 more and so on. TBH, For me on aq advisor, if it's a big tank( over 30gallons), I keep it at 85-90% max. For a small tank, (29 gallons and below) it should be at 85% max. Always make sure your filtration level is at least 120%! Also if the tank is stocked pretty full, I do a 30-50% water change weekly. I would be hesitant about adding more cory cats though that lone albino cory cat probably wants some friends. Just approach with caution and monitor your nitrates.....

Upvote 0

redmare

What are your nitrates at now, before a water change? As long as you're maintaining them under 40ppm by water change day, you're fine. That's the only way to know how stocked you are! Do you have live plants?

Upvote 0

Porscheboy918

What are your nitrates at now, before a water change? As long as you're maintaining them under 40ppm by water change day, you're fine. That's the only way to know how stocked you are! Do you have live plants?
I only have small Java Fern. I don’t know much about keeping live plants, but I would appreciate getting any easy plants that would work for black substrate.
As for Nitrates, they usually stay between 10-15 ppm by water change day.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
10 Gallon Tank Overstocked?
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies