Is it animal cruelty to keep fish in tiny spaces?

1. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Hello all, after recently setting up my mum (a teacher) a class fish tank for a fancy goldfish (10 gallons), another teacher thought it would be a GREAT idea to buy a 12 litre and stuff it with 3 commons! I'm trying to get my mum to say something but she doesn't want to make a fool of herself as according to her friend 'they are only fish'. GRRRRR why are people so ignorant and cruel! Anyway, I'm being serious when I say I'm beginning to think I'm gonna call the RSPCA or something as the goldfish look very miserable and lethargic. They aren't at my school so I don't have the means to go in there and check up on them daily. I can only go in every week to do maintenance on my mum's tank but apparantly her friend wants me to clean her tank out too!! I'm going to say no because there is no point wasting my recourses on fish that are being kept so horribly because although I love fish, letting them die would probably be better than staying cramped in that tiny thing for the rest of their days aswell as the fact that I'd be using my own dechlorinater and time and effort. Is it illegal or against animal welfare regulations to keep them in these cramped conditions?
    ~Mudkipz
    And by the way, the fancy goldfish is staying in the ten gallon for 5 weeks until the end of the school year then it is coming to live in my 40gallon tank semi - permanently until we move into my new house which has a pond.

2. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Lol btw ur username is so funny lol I remember when I used to play pokemon in grade school LOL. MUDKIP GO! USE MUDSLAP!!! lol but anyways im not sure about it being ILLEGAL but I do know that it is animal cruelty and they can be fined but I dont think its illegal. Do some research :) let us know what you found out!!

-BamSorg

3. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

4. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Nice that you are taking a stand against maintaining that tank. You may want to explain why you wont do it. If the person still doesn't understand, and still feel "it's just a fish", explain it in terms they may better understand.
    For example.. ask if they would keep 3 Great Danes locked in a closet their whole life, and only have their water and feces changed once a week? Maybe that will put it in better perspective.

5. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Maybe Yeah some laws are different between the U.S and the UK but maybe we have simular laws :) I hope we do have laws stating its illegal to abuse fish.

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I was just going to say that BluMan1914! Well put, I like your Great Dane analogy:)

I agree that simply refusing to take care of the tank isn't enough. Explain why, in a letter if you're more comfortable with that, and let her realize her own mistake.

7. chromedome52 Well Known Member Member

So far as I am aware, there are no laws anywhere in the US that include abused fish as animal cruelty, unless there are some small municipalities that have done so. You can't be fined, as that would require a law making it illegal.

8. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Darn that really sucks

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Well, I'm not sure I'd want to bring fines down on her. If she doesn't know she doesn't know. But she can learn and you can teach her;)

10. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Lol everyone makes mistakes and we learn from our mistakes :)

11. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah I agree with Aquaphobia, now if you did tell her and she simple didn't care then I might. But I don't believe it's against the law, but if it was you could tell her. I'd gather a ton of facts, tell her them, and if she doesn't care, she doesn't care. Some people want to hang on to their ignorance(we all are ignorant of something) so hard, it makes life 'easier' I guess, but it doesn't make it right. I suppose that's why most of us when we are an adult wish to be a child again, ignorance can be bliss; but as you become an adult your should accept it when someone tells you are wrong and if they are correct, fix it. Let's hope your teacher is mature enough to accept it, but I know some people, even if they know others don't like what they do and they hurt others, they don't care. I'll hope for the best for you and the goldfish.:)

12. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Platylover, it is against the law in Britain. The Animal Welfare Act is law.

13. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Wish they had that in all countries, but I don't think most do. I should have put in the USA, thanks for telling me.:)

14. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I've never understood why companies are allowed to sell super tiny cages and tanks when such a law is in place. You'd think that the law would prohibit those, too!

15. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

It's a law that isn't policed when it comes to fish. The police have "more important things to do", and the RSPCA don't have the resources or the knowledge...

16. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Ok guys thanks for your info, I feel a bit bad as I was told the WHOLE story when my mum got home. She was given the fish by someone who didn't want them and she was simply doing what she thought was best. When she said 'they are only fish' it was as a sort of question simply because she never knew they needed alot of care and stuff. She's actually a really nice person and when I was told by my sister about it who said along the lines of "have you seen the other tank? Its smaller than yours and has 3 HUGE goldfish in it! But they look a bit sick". I think you can get where I was coming from. But, she didn't know they needed more room and care and has asked me to come and help her have a look at what I can do to make it better. Also turns out that there is one big FANCY goldfish (i thought my sister meant they were commons when she said huge) and two baby ones the size of your thumb nail. Ahh, siblings... turns out she was planning on moving them to a better home at the end of the year and seeing as I'm the only person around who knows the slightest bit about fish, she wants me to take them. They would NOT be staying in that tank fo long however and would be moved ASAP into a large container and then into my new pond. I'm gonna be sooooooooooo overun with goldfish now that my own fancies are mating! Fish. Bane of my existence XD
    ~Mudkipz

17. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Well that's a better story! Glad things are going to work out for the fish and you don't have to do anything uncomfortable:)

18. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

That makes a big different. Looks like the Goldies will be ok. Most people don't realize what all entails when it comes to this hobby.

19. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Yea it most certainly IS animal cruelty. Tell her this if she keeps saying the old "they're only fish".

You can keep a cat or dog in its cage for its whole life. Yeah, it will live, of course it will! But it won't be HAPPY. Its not thriving. The cat or dog wants to run around and have room to grow! It wants to be fed proper food, and live in clean conditions. The same applies for a fish. It will live in a small tank, but it will not be happy.

Surviving ≠ Thriving