Is it acceptable to add some Sand to QT tank?

Kathylee

I have a QT running all the time, normally for plants, but every so often i'll browse for new fish. I am currently in the early process of re-scaping my 20g & will have new washed leftover sand. Think it'll be okay to add some?

-I used Fishlore Guideline & reference to cycle & set up this tank.
- It stated to leave it BARE-BOTTOM, because it would be easier to clean & so on.

BUT when I posted a photo, a while ago, of it bare & while treating 1 sick fish in it, a bunch of members were saying that it should NOT be bare..

Advice on this topic?

GlennO

It’s up to you but my view is that it is ideal if QT tanks are set up similar to any other tank including substrate, plants (even if artificial) and hiding places. Fish that are happy and stress free are less prone to illness and that includes fish that are in QT for at least a few weeks. If you're going to do without substrate I would at least paint the underside black to minimise light reflection.

Upvote 0

Kathylee

It’s up to you but my view is that it is ideal if QT tanks are set up similar to any other tank including substrate, plants (even if artificial) and hiding places. Fish that are happy and stress free are less prone to illness and that includes fish that are in QT for at least a few weeks. If you're going to do without substrate I would at least paint the underside black to minimise light reflection.
Yes right now it is being used to grow out some Red Root floaters, before adding to other tanks, there's also about 5 different anubis plants in there, some Golden Lloydiella,
Marsilea Hirsuta, & 1 broken stem of ludwigia. So I use it when purchasing new plants, mostly. There's no substrate at all. I added 5 black fluval rocks (was testing out how to grow algae)
I purchased a clip on LED & the bottom reflection is quite bright,
But was just wondering, tomorrow is my day off & is deemed Sand-washing day. So I think I'll add some. Why not? It's already running 24/7 like the other tanks right?

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Main problem with putting sand in a qt tank is after the sand you put a few plants than a couple of snails and hey why not some new fish . Next thing you know your buying a new qt tank . Mts sneaks up on you that way.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

There are pros and cons to both ways. Bare bottom makes it easier to clean, but substrate & decor make any fish in the tank feel more secure.
Main problem with putting sand in a qt tank is after the sand you put a few plants than a couple of snails and hey why not some new fish . Next thing you know your buying a new qt tank . Mts sneaks up on you that way.
This exact thing happened to me. I bought a 20g as a qt tank, set it up, and began cycling. Well, I decided to add some nice black sand. Then, hey, why not some spider wood? Then a ton of swords & crypts, and some okho stone. Then, how about some mystery snails? Two months later, I brought home and treated a sick betta... guess where he ended up living. Once he was healthy, I added a few endlers, and so on. Ended up needing a new qt tank after that...

Upvote 0

Kathylee

I know, I know. Haha. Started with a 5g- had it for 5 years. Then 1 year ago- started up a 20g, then a 10g for fry. Then a 29g. Then sold the 10g (along with plants +fry) ended up buying another starter kit for a QT..
Do we all have this problem?

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Do we all have this problem?
Lol want to see pictures .
But as to bare bottom for qt. It’s best because if you have to add salt or meds.

Upvote 0

Kathylee

Lol want to see pictures .
But as to bare bottom for qt. It’s best because if you have to add salt or meds.
I think You have shown me a few photos! Before, when we were talking about BN pleco sizes, you posted a photo of yours in the corner, looking "stretched" haha it was a while ago though.
Yes. Yes we do. Comes with the hobby I guess lol.
Phew, good! My Hubs thought otherwise. Haha, he thinks I am right out of my mind. Just last week, he brought to my attention that I spent 4X the amount on aquatic plants.. Than actual fish.

It's a small QT right now, it's cycled bare. Maybe I'll experiment with it, and just add a thin layer of sand. Enough to cover the refection; but not too much-
Debateable

Upvote 0

John58ford

I like sand and light planting in my qt. I have an anubias that has handled a couple sanitize passes with hydrogen peroxide, it's the only one one ever had bloom lol. Then I just put whatever trimmings etc that would otherwise go in the trash in there. Whenever there's a sanitization required I just toss whatever ludwigia, crypt, chain sword etc and dunk the anubias in the H2O2. The sand can be boiled, baked and rinsed then re-used.

This is especially good as I typically qt a new batch of fish up to 3 months, wouldn't want them pale, stressed and hiding all the time. I keep an empty plastic tank for medication, only full when I need to treat one, that stays bare bottom. Allot of plants have survived full tank treatments in my displays when called for though, even careful practices occasionally get sick fish, often infection after injury.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

John I’m with you on making t look as real as possible. My qt tanks (yes tanks) get potted plants and a small piece of driftwood. This does let them relax in the qt. These guys are new.
5413B96E-C434-419F-ADF2-A50E5EDA5250.jpegthey’ll be in here for about a month and a half. What nice about the pots is they can be removed if needed.

Lol Kathy I remember the stretchy pleco pic .

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jtjgg
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Fluidmotion1987