Is It A Swordtail Female? Question

1. Bin070585 Initiate Member

i'm beginner and got a new fish, is it a swordtail female and be able to breed? Thank in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Sean Smith Member Member

Looks like a female but pic isn't very good . I believe they are livebearers and if they are . Male's will have a genopodium ( ,hope I spelled it right,male extremity) that looks like an extra fin on the bottom of them but it's thin and a little long . Hope this helps

3. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

That looks like a Lyretail Molly but i might be wrong.

4. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Agreed, it's a molly.

Edit: and it is a female.

6. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

And here's a couple of pics to build on what @Sean Smith was saying (I know they aren't swordtails, but the principle still applys)

Males have a rod shaped anal fin (gonopodium)
    IMG_2244.JPG

And females have it fan shaped
    IMG_2245.JPG

:)

7. Bin070585 Initiate Member

it seem everyone agree it is molly, i will get a male molly to reproduce.
    Thank you all.

8. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

What livebearer is that? I have been always curious from other posts. Looks like something out of Poecilia but I don't know lol.

9. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Tbh; I'm not really sure, but I'll probably go look cuz I'm curious too now. I work in a library and I saw the book on fish in some region (can't remember lol) and flipped through it and thought it wa a good example for me to take pics for sexing purposes because I've gotten in trouble for using internet pics lol. I'll let you know when I find it again :)

(Sort for hijacking!)

10. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I may have found it. I looked around on the internet and the female looks like Limia melanogaster. The male reminds me of Mosquito fish or something along those lines. Now that I looked for Gambusia affinis pics Im convinced the male is one of them.

11. Aqua J Member Member

Yep, female molly

12. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

You probably don't need a make. Mollies store sperm.

13. Bin070585 Initiate Member

Just my hobby, what should i concern?

14. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Sorry meant Male.

15. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

If you want a Male make sure to have a 1:2-3 Male:Female Ratio so a single female won't be bullied to much.