Is it a sign of a healthy aquarium?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Karl R, Apr 2, 2010.

1. K

Karl R Valued Member Member

I have a 40 gallon tank with 11 gold pristle tetras 4 painted plattys 4 neon tetras 1 zebra platty 1 cory catfish and 1 snail the aquarium is planted. Amonia is at 0 ppm. I am running a marineland penguin 350 bio wheel filter a 100 watt heater and a 12 inch bubble bar. Water is at 75 f and ph is 6.4. This set up has been up and running for five months. My question is, is it a sign of good general health and water condtion if everyone is breeding in there? And how do I stop this. I have increased the frequency of water change out from once every two weeks to once a week at 25% each and change out my filters every three weeks. Is this sufficent to maintain acceptable water quality?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may give!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
  2. R

Rhan Well Known Member Member

Platies will reproduce no matter what, so if you don't want anymore babies at all, I suggest separate them and wait until the females have used up the stored sperm they have (which could take months, as they can store it for long periods of time), or take the female platies back to the LFS. I have a bunch of platy babies at the moment, i separated the male a few months ago, but the female has had 3 fry drops since then.

I think the tetras are egg-scatterers (not entirely sure here, anyone feel free to correct me), so their eggs will most likely get eaten before they can hatch anyway.

Do you mean you're changing out everything in your filters every 3 weeks? I don't know how the bio wheel filters work, as I've never seen them around here, but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to change out all the media at once, as then its bye bye to most of your beneficial bacteria. Does it contain sponges, carbon, filter wool? I have a completely different filter, but I never change anything except the carbon. I squeeze the sponges in tank water if they look mucky then pop them back in.

I find that testing the nitrates over a period of a at least a few weeks gives a good indication of when to do a water change. Most people prefer to keep nitrate to below 20, so when it hits 20 they're due for a water change. This is could be once a week, or more or less I think it just depends. For example, in my approx. 40 gal tank, I end up with 10-15 nitrates when i test the day before I perform my weekly water change. I usually change about 8-10 gallons per week. This is sufficient to keep my nitrates from rising above 15. This is just an example with my tank, it could be totally different for yours :)

If your ammonia and nitrite levels are consistently zero, and there is a small amount of nitrates, and everyone is living and growing happily, you could probably say the aquarium is healthy in my opinion :)

3. OP
    OP
    K

The penguin bio wheel filter I run has disposable cartridges. The wheel stays. The nitrates are very low. Around 5 or so at each water change.

4. R

Rhan Well Known Member Member

Ahhh ok, so I'm guessing the bacteria colonises on the wheel itself then. I've heard of people talking about them on here, but I've never actually seen one except on google :)

Well, it sounds like your aquarium is rather healthy :;rocker

Oh, and welcome to fishlore by the way! I just realised this is your first post :;smack

5. OP
    OP
    K

Well if u like check my profile tonight I will post pictures of Both my filter and aquarium. And thank you very much for the info!

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Karl and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Quoting Rhan "If your ammonia and nitrite levels are consistently zero, and there is a small amount of nitrates, and everyone is living and growing happily, you could probably say the aquarium is healthy in my opinion ".

:happy0034:Ken

7. OP
    OP
    K

And you are exactly right the bacteria does set up shop on the wheel. I think they are prety cool. They also seem to really help keep amonia in check. Also set up for a newbie such as myself was a breze!

8. OP
    OP
    K

Thanks ken! Nice to meet y'all bye the way.

9. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

Yep, the bacteria lives on the wheels. The wheels also oxygenate the water too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice