Is It A Good Deal? 55 Gallon Tank 

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
trying to decide if i should buy this. $90 for a used 55 gallon that comes with rocks, heater, lid, lights, filter and decorations.
IMG_0392.jpg

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Accessories arent really worth anything. I would offer $40 or $50

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You’ll end up wanting a replacement filter, so I’d get him to lower the price, then it’ll be a better deal.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wait for the $1.00 per gallon sale at PetCo and get a new one for $55.00 then buy the equipment that is right for the setup that you want.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
$1 per gallon 2nd hand isnt resonable to me when you can get it that price new.

Hunterhusker

Valued Member
Reaction score
I will say that was my plan for upgrading my 10 to a 20. I was gonna buy the glass and then the lights...well the lights alone were $55 and the tank was another $50. I ended up buying a starter kit and throwing out the crappy filter they included and setting it up that way. Make an offer on the lights. Lighting is expensive, and if u want the lights you might as well offer for the tank too. I saw a really nice light set on a 20 just like mine on a garage sale the whole thing was $20 but I couldn't get a new tank so I offered 40 for just the lights and he wouldn't do it.

NYFishGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thunder_o_b said:
another thing to consider is are you planing to get seriously into plants? and if so are the lights that come with that aquarium plant supportive?
Probably need a upgrade there but consider new glass 60$ everything else 40$ temp hood/ usable filter/heater.
I'm going to add a sponge filter to my used 55 too and i bought a AC110.

LDR123

Valued Member
Reaction score
smee82 said:
$1 per gallon 2nd hand isnt resonable to me when you can get it that price new.
I dont think 1 dollar per gallon deals includes lids though do they? You're looking at another $15 easy for the lid alone if that's the case

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LDR123 said:
I dont think 1 dollar per gallon deals includes lids though do they? You're looking at another $15 easy for the lid alone if that's the case
No, you get the tank for a dollar per it's gallon size, but I believe that kits have sales during this time!

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LDR123 said:
Theres a HOB on the back and no lid on the tank so i would expect much from their lid so i wouldnt include it in the price the same as all the other stuff. The gravel filter decorations and heater are all probably worthless.

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i already bought it. the lid is nice, was nasty tho so i had to really scrub it for awhile. the fluorescent lights it came with didnt turn on and i didnt bother changing the lightbulbs so who knows if those work. cascade 300 that was supposed to be a month old didnt turn on and i had to replace that, the heater electrocuted me when i plugged it in so i replaced that as well, got rid of all the gravel and the decorations. so yeah, pretty much got ripped off. basically paid $90 for an old tank. at least it doesn’t leak, says it was sealed in 2009.
IMG_1558.JPG

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom