Is It A Good Deal? 55 Gallon Tank

1. babiimoore

babiimoore Well Known Member Member

trying to decide if i should buy this. $90 for a used 55 gallon that comes with rocks, heater, lid, lights, filter and decorations. IMG_0392.jpg

2. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

That's half price of a new one at Walmart. Not a great deal.

3. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

even with all accessories?

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Accessories arent really worth anything. I would offer $40 or $50

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

You’ll end up wanting a replacement filter, so I’d get him to lower the price, then it’ll be a better deal.

6. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

I was thinking 55-65, but $1 per gallon is reasonable

7. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Wait for the $1.00 per gallon sale at PetCo and get a new one for $55.00 then buy the equipment that is right for the setup that you want.

8. s

$1 per gallon 2nd hand isnt resonable to me when you can get it that price new.

9. Hunterhusker

Hunterhusker Valued Member Member

I will say that was my plan for upgrading my 10 to a 20. I was gonna buy the glass and then the lights...well the lights alone were $55 and the tank was another $50. I ended up buying a starter kit and throwing out the crappy filter they included and setting it up that way. Make an offer on the lights. Lighting is expensive, and if u want the lights you might as well offer for the tank too. I saw a really nice light set on a 20 just like mine on a garage sale the whole thing was $20 but I couldn't get a new tank so I offered 40 for just the lights and he wouldn't do it.

10. NYFishGuy

NYFishGuy Valued Member Member

Petsmart has a 50% sale going on for topfin kits through holiday. 55 gallon kit with lights heater filter etc was 100$

11. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

another thing to consider is are you planing to get seriously into plants? and if so are the lights that come with that aquarium plant supportive?

12. NYFishGuy

NYFishGuy Valued Member Member

Probably need a upgrade there but consider new glass 60$ everything else 40$ temp hood/ usable filter/heater.
    I'm going to add a sponge filter to my used 55 too and i bought a AC110.

13. L

LDR123 New Member Member

I dont think 1 dollar per gallon deals includes lids though do they? You're looking at another $15 easy for the lid alone if that's the case

14. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

No, you get the tank for a dollar per it's gallon size, but I believe that kits have sales during this time!

15. s

Theres a HOB on the back and no lid on the tank so i would expect much from their lid so i wouldnt include it in the price the same as all the other stuff. The gravel filter decorations and heater are all probably worthless.

16. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

i already bought it. the lid is nice, was nasty tho so i had to really scrub it for awhile. the fluorescent lights it came with didnt turn on and i didnt bother changing the lightbulbs so who knows if those work. cascade 300 that was supposed to be a month old didnt turn on and i had to replace that, the heater electrocuted me when i plugged it in so i replaced that as well, got rid of all the gravel and the decorations. so yeah, pretty much got ripped off. basically paid $90 for an old tank. at least it doesn’t leak, says it was sealed in 2009. IMG_1558.JPG