55 Gallon Tank Is It A Good Deal?

babiimoore
trying to decide if I should buy this. $90 for a used 55 gallon that comes with rocks, heater, lid, lights, filter and decorations.
IMG_0392.jpg

leftswerve
trying to decide if I should buy this. $90 for a used 55 gallon that comes with rocks, heater, lid, lights, filter and decorations. View attachment 441612
That's half price of a new one at Walmart. Not a great deal.

babiimoore
That's half price of a new one at Walmart. Not a great deal.

even with all accessories?

smee82
Accessories aren't really worth anything. I would offer $40 or $50

Fanatic
You’ll end up wanting a replacement filter, so I’d get him to lower the price, then it’ll be a better deal.

leftswerve
Accessories aren't really worth anything. I would offer $40 or $50
I was thinking 55-65, but $1 per gallon is reasonable

Thunder_o_b
Wait for the $1.00 per gallon sale at PetCo and get a new one for $55.00 then buy the equipment that is right for the setup that you want.

smee82
$1 per gallon 2nd hand isn't resonable to me when you can get it that price new.

Hunterhusker
I will say that was my plan for upgrading my 10 to a 20. I was gonna buy the glass and then the lights...well the lights alone were $55 and the tank was another $50. I ended up buying a starter kit and throwing out the crappy filter they included and setting it up that way. Make an offer on the lights. Lighting is expensive, and if u want the lights you might as well offer for the tank too. I saw a really nice light set on a 20 just like mine on a garage sale the whole thing was $20 but I couldn't get a new tank so I offered 40 for just the lights and he wouldn't do it.

NYFishGuy
Petsmart has a 50% sale going on for topfin kits through holiday. 55 gallon kit with lights heater filter etc was 100$

Thunder_o_b
another thing to consider is are you planing to get seriously into plants? and if so are the lights that come with that aquarium plant supportive?

NYFishGuy
another thing to consider is are you planing to get seriously into plants? and if so are the lights that come with that aquarium plant supportive?

Probably need a upgrade there but consider new glass 60$ everything else 40$ temp hood/ usable filter/heater.
I'm going to add a sponge filter to my used 55 too and I bought a AC110.

LDR123
$1 per gallon 2nd hand isn't resonable to me when you can get it that price new.
I don't think 1 dollar per gallon deals includes lids though do they? You're looking at another $15 easy for the lid alone if that's the case

Fanatic
I don't think 1 dollar per gallon deals includes lids though do they? You're looking at another $15 easy for the lid alone if that's the case

No, you get the tank for a dollar per it's gallon size, but I believe that kits have sales during this time!

smee82

Theres a HOB on the back and no lid on the tank so I would expect much from their lid so I wouldnt include it in the price the same as all the other stuff. The gravel filter decorations and heater are all probably worthless.

babiimoore
I already bought it. the lid is nice, was nasty tho so I had to really scrub it for awhile. the fluorescent lights it came with didnt turn on and I didnt bother changing the lightbulbs so who knows if those work. cascade 300 that was supposed to be a month old didnt turn on and I had to replace that, the heater electrocuted me when I plugged it in so I replaced that as well, got rid of all the gravel and the decorations. so yeah, pretty much got ripped off. basically paid $90 for an old tank. at least it doesn’t leak, says it was sealed in 2009.
IMG_1558.JPG

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
juniperlea
Replies
Views
tiffani
Replies
Views
cmb19
Replies